Chiropratic vs. Physical Therapy

waitinggame
on 11/9/11 9:45 pm - Bowie, MD

So I know we have some faithful chiropractic users on our little board. I was wondering if any of you had ever done physical therapy prior to or after the chiropractic and what your opinion of each is. I'm planning to do physical therapy for my back, but would consider chiropractic if I heard enough anectdotal evidence to support doing so.

If you've not done PT, did you choose chiropractic over PT for a particular reason?

I'll be honest, I used to work for an orthopedist and in orthopedic circles, chiropractors are thought of as folks who couldn't make the cut to become orthopods. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

Thanks for any opinions. I just really need some relief and will go to whomever can provide it!

Denise

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

alla B.
on 11/9/11 10:41 pm
I used chiropractic for mine back/neck pain treatment to cover BL and I got approval from my Oxford.
I never think about PT.
do you think to use them for your breast lift?
Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

waitinggame
on 11/10/11 1:51 am - Bowie, MD
I'm actually suffering from a herniated disc in my lower back unrelated to plastics. Just need some relief and will go wherever I hae to to get it.

Have a good day!

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

*6.5 lost preop

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 11:16 pm
 I have been to both myself my father included. Here is my 2 cents not that I can afford to give it. If you want manageable long term care and relief go with therapy. If you need a quick fix with the occasional adjustment a chiroptactor might be the way to go. At this point I have only been to my chiro twice this year maybe 1 more by years end just need an adjustment now and again. He is great wouldn't trade him for anything, my dad goes to therapy says chiro made his back worse would never go back.  I would personally give chiro a try first, give it a couple of shots then if it don't cut it give therapy a try.

Bubba dub
waitinggame
on 11/10/11 1:55 am - Bowie, MD
Thanks for your 2 cents, although I think you may have overpaid! :)  I do understand your desire to continue with your chiro given your admissions about your affection for him! LOL! Okay, done busting on you since you were really trying to help.

I'm leaning toward PT. Not even sure my insurance will cover chiro and given the response below yours, I'm not so sure about chiro. It actually scares me that they might hurt me if they aren't awesome. How bad would that suck to come out worse! 

I just want to feel better. Hopefully PT will help.

Thanks Bubs!

Denise (wow, that was weird)

*6.5 lost preop

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 4:47 am
Just for the record, My dad and I had seperate chiropractors as his seemed like an idiot to me the 1 time I took my dad to an appointment. My Old GP who is now retired is the 1 who told me to give a chiropractor a try. Given my back the condition it was in (sounds like your a lot worse off than I am) at the time he thought it would be a good route for me to go.

I think therapy speaks for itself we all know what it can accomplish but it takes alot more work on our part with multiple visits, time, money, & physical effort. Where you go to the chiroprators office maybe your in and out in 15 minutes and somebody does all the work for you.

I know I was in alot of pain a little over 2 years ago when I was losing weight. After 2 visits I was 2/3 rd's better, after 3rd visit I was 80-85% I was hooked after that. My benefits cover both but I have a co-pay for each visit to therapy and same copay to chiropractors office, I took the easy way out and have had 0 back pain for over 1 1/2 now.

MY Gp was a doctor for almost 40 years and he recommended it to me so no disrespect to anyone else, I think this is one of those things it's based on everyone's experience and everyone's experience is different. 

You can see where I lean on this issue, if it's covered on your insurance I say give it a shot 1 or 2 times. If you get no relief from it go the therapy route. For the record my old man hurts just going out to get the mail so take what I said with a small grain of salt, pain management for him is 20 mg of vicodin and a 1/5 of jack every morning.

Good luck

Bubba
waitinggame
on 11/10/11 5:40 am - Bowie, MD
That is awesome you got such relief! I can totally see following the advice of a trusted physician and thankfully it worked out for you.

I think it is relevant to consider the level of infirmity as you mentioned. Your dad being so bad off may have played into it. And obviously my back is pretty bad off. I have to drag myself to the gym since that tends to help warm it up and I stretch a lot when I'm there which helps a lot. Actually did a light workout at the hotel on the elliptical trainer and some arm work with weights and I lived.

I may have to employ your father's pain management methodology. He is clearly a wise, wise man!!

Nite!

*6.5 lost preop

mkbeany
on 11/10/11 12:44 am
I would never go to a chiropractor.

Just my own opinion as an RN of 24 years.
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " -- Anais Nin

Revised from Band to Bypass 10/26/09
High Wt 355/ Surgery Wt 343 (BMI 61) / Current Wt 190 on 3/17/12

TT/Fleur De Lis 8/22/11
Mastopexy and Brachioplasty 12/14/11
waitinggame
on 11/10/11 5:10 am - Bowie, MD
Seems you've seen and heard some of what I have regarding the issue. Looking like it's gonna be PT for me...

Thanks!

*6.5 lost preop

Stella S.
on 11/10/11 2:45 am
As a PT, given your pathology, I would strongly urge you to avoid the DC! 
Most Active