Too old for skin to bounce back?

dasie
on 9/27/12 10:21 am
Do you have photos.  I did not go to your profile because you don't have an avatar with a photo, so I figured you are really private.  With all the work you've put into this, you must look great.

Laura in Texas
on 9/24/12 5:54 am
Most likely you will have loose skin and if it bothers you, get plastic surgery. I was 42 when I had my RNY and have lost 200 pounds. I had tons of excess skin. I know of some people who have posted here that did not get their abdominal muscles tightened and were happy with the results. I am in good shape and got mine tightened. I'm glad I did.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Spinika
on 9/24/12 6:25 am - MD
RNY on 10/10/12
Thanks for the info! I appreciate your input! 😊 

Spinia  

Kim S.
on 9/26/12 1:39 am - Helena, AL
As our bodies gain weight, they make more skin to cover it.  Unfortunately, we can't absorb the extra skin once we deflate the fat-so some excess is likely inevitable. 

Genetics and age do play a role in the elasticity of the skin.  Exercise will firm the muscles under the skin making it "look" better, but extra skin is extra skin.

I've been in maintenance for 2.5 years now and am having a LBL in November, and probably a breast lift too if he can do it all in one day.  I lost 160 lbs, and consider myself lucky in the skin department.....I've seen much worse.  Mine causes issues when I run, so I'm ready to get rid of it.

I was 44 when I had my surgery and had been overweight most of my life and a classic yo-yo dieter.

Spinika
on 9/27/12 11:35 am - MD
RNY on 10/10/12
 Thanks! I am feeling better about the surgery with every post!

Spinia  

dasie
on 9/27/12 10:19 am
There are so many factors at play, and we are all different.  I am 57 and was 54 when I had surgery.  Throughout the years I spent hours in the gym, when I was on yet another one of my diets.  Those hours in the gym helped me in some places but not in others. 

Shoulder exercises were always my favorite.  So I feel really fortunate my neck held up well.  My cheeks have fallen, as one PS said "considerably," but it doesn't show in my photos.  But my cheeks did fall.  I always had great stomach tightness.  I don't have a pani problem, but I have loose skin in the mid area.  My biggest issue, and I knew it would because that is where I carried my weight, is my butt and upper/inner thighs. 

My butt is sad, and I do need a LBL and inner thighs done.  Even with all the time working out, I had too much weight loss and not enough muscle tone underneath. I could live w/o PS, but that is not what I would like to settle for.

One thing I found true was this.  When I was 6 mosths post op, one poster made a comment she was doing really great in the excess skin area until she hit the 80 pounds lost mark.  She said once she went beyond that number, she began having excess skin issues.  I had lost 70 pounds multiple times, and I had zero skin issues.  But post RNY once I got passed 80 pounds lost, skin became an issue.  Her observation was right on.  I thought I was home free, but...it was not to be. 

Even if I never had PS, I am so pleased with my results.  So... it is kind of hard to say how you will fare.  Genetics, muscle mass, activity, age, a lot of things determine the outcome.

Don't worry about the skin.  As active as you are, you will be thrilled with the results.  You may find once your weight is off, any excess skin you may, or may not, have won't matter to you at all.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Spinika
on 9/27/12 11:33 am - MD
RNY on 10/10/12
 Thank you so much for your input!  You and everyone else that have replied have helped me confirm that I am making the right decision by having the surgery performed!  I really appreciate the information!

Spinia  

DCHound
on 10/14/12 8:59 am - DC
Everyone is different - age, highest weight, yo-yoing and most importantly genetics all play a role. You won't know til you get there. But there are things you can do to give your skin the support it needs to tighten up as much as it can on its own before you consider plastic surgery.  I spent a long time researching this for myself and ended up compiling my research into a book, which is now on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009MT4588/ref=nosim?tag=firlooski-20&linkCode=sb1&camp=212353&creative=380549) and a website, www.firmlooseskin.com It mostly looks at vitamins, minerals, extracts, oils and exercises that help.

Losing the weight will change your life in ways you can't even imagine. I've lost almost 200 pounds and, loose skin or not, it's totally worth it. Best of luck on your RNY!
Most Active