Why choose doc with experience with us

maggienoella
on 2/10/13 11:45 pm
I'm just wondering. If we are now at a normal weight what difference it makes.
Thanks.
exohexoh
on 2/11/13 1:27 am - West Chester, PA

because the type and amount of excess skin that we have is very different than say a woman that has a tummy tuck post-baby. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

maggienoella
on 2/11/13 1:29 am
Oh well that makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I feel dumb for not thinking that out.
DrL
on 2/17/13 8:02 am - Houston, TX

Good question, and I find myself thinking how different and more difficult my WLS patients are to work on...but also so much more rewarding.

Amount and quality of skin: in most cases after WL or WLS, we are looking not just at a 20-30lb weight gain for 9 months of pregnancy, but many weight-gain and weight-loss cycles over the years.  This really results in damage to the skin along with a LOT of excess skin. New, more aggresive techniques are needed to control the skin and expectations have to be appropriately managed by the doctor.

Special nutritional issues: my patients are successful because they have managed and  tightly controlled their diets and behaviors before plastic surgery. But eating for weight loss, eating for weight  maintenance, and eating for recovery are 3 very different programs.  A bariatric plastic surgeon has to understand all 3 and counsel his patients accordingly.  It can be a struggle to get a postop patient to eat things in amounts they may not be used to !

There are also many nutritional deficiencies unique to weight loss patients, mot commonly iron.  I am amazed at how often ferritin and iron levels are ignored by doctors caring for WLS patients.  These issues can negatively affect healing.

New incisions: plastic surgery after weight loss often requires that we use an incision not only to pull loose skin down, but also up.  This "top down bottom up" approach applies to the tummy and upper thigh/pubic area and also the buttock and waist area.  Proper planning is needed to correct as many areas as possible using one incision.  I try and teach the surgeons who I am teaching these techniques to think regionally, not locally.

An example is that patients with loose arm skin almost always have loose skin on the side of the chest and may need a breast lift.  One continuous incision can be used to fix all these areas if the surgeries are properly planned. 

Well, that's just a little bit on this big topic...for more details check out my book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Plastic-Surgery-Cosmetic-Weight/dp/1886039925

or better yet email me for a free copy: [email protected].  

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active