DS Plastics Patients- help please

P. Poster
on 4/25/13 2:43 am

I had my LBL on Tuesday.  I have been in excruciating pain, completely uncontrolled since then.  They CAN NOT get me ahead of the pain at all.  Had me on a pain pump in the hospital (of  a VERY low dose of Dilaudid, which I told them has never worked for me anyway) which did nothing.  Gave me IV Tylenol, nothing.  Gave my oral Oxycodone- nothing.  Gave me oral Valium- nothing.  I am now home and can NOT get out of pain at all.  Im taking 20mg of Oxycdone, 5mg Valium, 50mg of Benadryl and 1000mg of Tylenol every TWO hours- and the pain is still not manageable.  I havent slept in 3 days.  Its NOT muscular pain at all.  It is all incision pain, and its like I was pulled WAY too tight.  I am wondering if because of my DS, I am not absorbing the oral meds and the IV meds were never ones that worked for me anyway (I even had it in my chart that Dilaudid is not to be used, but they still insisted)...  

So my question is- anyone else that had the DS, do you have problems absorbing pain meds at all?  The doses Im on should be enough to kill most people, and yet here I sit, bawling in tears, shaking and vomiting from the pain.  Any suggestions?  Im really regretting this and am at my wits end.  Im becoming very depressed and just cant deal anymore.  Ive had 5 surgeries in ly life, Ive had 3rd degree burns, broken almost every bone in my body, had a 36 hour Pitocin induced no pain med labor, fallen off a roof, bad car accident- and NOTHING has been like this.  The only thing thats changed since all that is my DS.  I need help.  Please.

sfnativewm
on 4/25/13 4:45 am

I am so sorry for your pain.  I am not a DS patient but do know that with pain like that the healing process is prolonged.    They should be giving you shots of some sort.   Call immediately for some type of shots and or I would get to the E/R for some type of  shot!!   

Good luck!!!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

alla B.
on 4/25/13 6:30 am

hI,

I had Ds in 2006-2007 and I did TT, BL/BR and arm lift but percoset 2 pills every 4 hours always worked for me.

Sorry for your pain, please call doctor, ask about percoset . They should be able to help you.

Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

Angela B.
on 4/25/13 9:54 am
I am very sorry to hear about your pain. I had the RNY, not the DS, but I can tell you several medications do not work the same for me after my gastric bypass. Pain meds did work fine though. My first thought is if the problem is that your DS is not allowing you to absorb your medications the same way, then injections or IV pain meds should work. I had a morphine pump after my lower body lift and it worked like a charm. I much prefer the morphine over the dilaudid. I also had an On-Q pain ball, which was ball of lidocaine (numbing medication) delivered directly to the incisions through a small catheter that was inserted during surgery. I wonder if something like that would help you. Keep us updated if you feel up to it and I hope you get some relief soon.

-Angela

olivegem
on 4/25/13 11:56 am - NY

I am so so so sorry for your pain. I just had BL/BA, TT, arm lift, inner thigh lift  and liposuction. I was in excruciating pain as well. After my DS, Vicodin didnt work for me but it did in the past, so I know the body changes with what pain meds are tolerated. My pain was actually controlled with Tylenol with codeine. Maybe you can try that. I hope something helps you really soon. God bless and keep you at this time =(

.....All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Laura in Texas
on 4/25/13 8:34 pm

I sent a PM. I hope you are feeling better today. The lbl is a hard hard surgery on the body. I don't think any of us are ready for how tough the first few days can be. I started feeling better around day 7. Hang in there!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Crazeru
on 4/26/13 6:50 am

Pain meds have always had a short life in me.  Oxycodone does work, but does a number on my stomach and I need to take tums every couple of hrs.  Perocet worked the best.  Morphine might me the only thing that will get you over your pain.

You might want to try seeing a hypnotist.  Sometimes they can help with the pain.    I can do some distance Reiki for you.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

P. Poster
on 4/27/13 5:18 am

I ended up going to my local ER and they put me on a Fentanyl Patch to get me through the weekend and referred me to a pain management Dr on Monday.  I feel a MILLION times better.  I havent had to take anything else in the last 13 hours besides the muscle relaxer and my blood thinners.  Thank GOD.  

sarapilar
on 4/27/13 1:19 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

Thank God!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Angela B.
on 4/27/13 2:17 pm
So glad you were able to get some relief!

Most Active