I need a full body overhaul, oh but the cost

Linda B.
on 10/19/14 5:01 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

When I was at the OH conference (and the one last year too), I did a consult for what I would need/want to do with Dr. Katzen. While I admire his work, and it looks like he could make me look normal again, I think it will take winning the lottery to be able to afford it.

I checked into getting PPO insurance when I took my new job, but the cost and deductibles were way out of budget. I have Kaiser, so chances of getting them to cover any of this is slim to none, even through their doctors.

I have thought about going to Dr Sauceda (spelling?), but I know if there were any problems, Kaiser would not treat or cover it. I know he does beautiful work, but I'm a big chicken when it comes to medical tourism.

On a side note, we might be moving to the Denver area in the summer, so I could always wait and check into getting it done there. I know there are great PS's all over, so I am not opposed to waiting until after the move.

Well, I just thought I'd vent a little just in case someone has any wisdom they can share.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

emelar
on 10/20/14 2:32 am - TX

It's likely to be more affordable in CO versus CA, but it's still a lot of money.  Pick the part of you that bothers you the most - if you could have only one procedure done, which one would it be - and start saving for that one.  As much as we'd all like coming out of one big surgery looking like a rock star, it usually ends up being a process.

Linda B.
on 10/22/14 3:12 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I figured it would less expensive in CO. I know I'll never have the body of a model, it would be nice if the skin didn't get in the way of my sport.

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

Ihearttennis
on 10/20/14 7:45 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

The cost is crazy.  I am looking at $26,000 (no breast aug) or $30,000 ( with aug). We are in the process of refinancing our mortgage and I've taken up a second (part-time) job to cover the cost.  It's a financial burden but I want to do it while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.  I also need a new car but decided to put that off for a year or two. 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Linda B.
on 10/22/14 3:14 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I understand, I am not young, but it would be nice if the skin didn't interfere with my sport. Not looking to have a perfect body, just a normal looking one. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/14 6:41 am

I would visit our site, the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons(www.ASBPS.org) for a referral. Many of us do occasionally get inquiries from media outlets regarding patients that are willing to share their stories and do give substantial discounts for this. Also, you may be surprised if you did check around that prices can be very reasonable and sometimes within 10-20% of those in Mexico.

Dr. Edward Jonas Domanskis is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery 1441 Avocado Avenue, Suite 307 Newport Beach, California 92660 949.640-6324/1.888.234-5080(Ca) Website: http://www.surgery-plastic.com Assistant Clinical Professor of SurgeryWOS-Plastic,University of California (Irvine) Orange County’s Physician of Excellence/America’s Top Physicians/Top Doctors Plastic Surgery- 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2012 President,American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons www.ASBPS.org

Non-Toxic, No Nanos Skin Care- www.ORGANODERM.com

Wound Therapy-www.ScaRxtape.com

Linda B.
on 10/22/14 3:09 pm, edited 10/22/14 3:14 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Thanks, I will give that a try. I am more than willing to share my story, be filmed, etc. This excess skin is beginning to interfere with my sport, I am a figure skater. It is the physical activity that I enjoy most, but it is hard to move up through the levels when skin gets in the way.

Laura in Texas
on 10/22/14 9:15 am

You could always look into residency programs. Much less expensive. And like the other reply said, pick the part that bothers you most. Mine was my arms. Arms are inexpensive in the scheme of things. Then I had a bit of good fortune and managed to get my lbl/bl a few years later. 

With a loan, it is really no more than a car payment. My sanity was worth that.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Linda B.
on 10/22/14 3:11 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

Thanks for the tip. I live about an hour away from a well-known medical school. I might check that out. The worst that could happen is being turned down.

hollykim
on 10/26/14 7:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

have you considered Dr. Sauceda in Mexico? I had the works there in January and have been totally pleased. I paid a fraction of the price charged in the states and. My care could not have been better.  I actually had better care there every time I have been than. I have usually had in the

he has a forum on OH under groups.states. 

Most Active