Recovery time after breast lift/mastopexy and upper back lift?

pinkpeonies
on 11/19/14 1:48 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Hi all,

I'm scheduled at the end of Dec. for a breast lift/reduction/mastopexy (incision extends to "side boobs" and pulls the extra fat to help re-shape the new breasts) and a full upper back lift (also known as a bra lift). My surgeon thinks I should be able to have the surgery on a Tuesday and be back at work the following Monday. I am not so sure and am fishing around for anyone who may have had this or a similar surgery who has an opinion on recovery time. I drive 20 miles each way to and from work and am worried about mobility. I've planned to take off through the following Wednesday but am wondering if I should just plan for the entire week post-surgery (Dec. 30 through Jan.9).

Thanks!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

emelar
on 11/19/14 4:48 am - TX

I had an extended breast lift with brachioplasty and was back at work comfortably in two weeks.  I think one week is really pushing it.  I was still taking some pain meds at that point and just feeling generally yucky.  Are you going to have JP drains?  Will they definitely be out in a week? 

Crazeru
on 11/19/14 1:43 pm

I was off for 8 weeks with my LBL, BL, arms and sm thigh.  When I went back for my UBL only, I was off for 3 weeks.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

kathkeb
on 11/22/14 1:10 am

I had my mastopexy and brachioplasty at the same time.

Had it on the Thursday before Thanksgiving.

Saw surgeon for a follow up on Friday (removed drains). 

Then, I rested for a week.  I drove myself 120 miles to see family one week later (Friday after Thanksgiving) and went back to work the following Monday-- 11days post op.

I work from home, doing project management and was able to nap every day for my lunch hour ....

Piaf you can take 2 weeks off, I would do it.  Your drive and full time job and drive home will be very tiring.  Rest is our best friend in healing!!!

Kath

Bronco0605
on 11/25/14 9:53 pm

I can't imagine going back to work that fast. I have not had that surgery but I have had many surgeries and I am always so tired afterward. I wonder about being able to move your arms and drive well.

emelar
on 11/25/14 10:34 pm - TX

Everyone's experience its different, and you don't know where on the spectrum you'll land until after you're there. I had no problem with my arms. I lowered my steering wheel and drove carefully. My arms are sore but not really in pain. I was always able to wash my hair. At the end of two weeks, I was bouncing off walls and ready to go back. Plan for three weeks out, then see how you feel. The lower body lift was the only one that took longer than two weeks to feel like I could function. That took three weeks, then part time for a week before I could make it through a full workday. 

alexclinton
on 11/27/14 8:27 pm

After 2-3 weeks you will be able to get back to your normal work. But the complete recovery process will take a few months before all effects of surgery wears off. Ask your surgeon about the restrictions after surgery. Follow them scrupulously; it will help you recover faster.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/29/14 3:10 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had a lift, reduction, implants etc but it was just a lolipop cut so nothing under rge breasts or on the sides or the back. I had a thigh lift at the same time. I had surgery on a Monday and was out of the hospital Wednesday (all drains were removed, I had 4, two for the breasts and two for thighs) and I went in to the office on Friday for a half day and as of the following Monday back full time. I drove but its pretty close. Getting in and out of the car was a bit iffy with the thighs but it was ok, doable. Breasts really was not an issue at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active