Lift Chair Rentals

Karamay
on 11/24/14 9:48 pm - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

Hello!!  Well the big day is almost here!  I am scheduled for a LBL, BL, & AL with Dr. Capella on Dec 11th.  I am planning ahead & having read some of the great suggestions for items needed post-surgery, I know I definitely want to rent a lift chair/recliner that I can rest in & make life easier.  My question is if you did rent a lift chair...how long did you rent it for?  I was thinking about a week or 2....  Also, did you rent anything to help you get up/down on the toilet?

Thanks....Kara

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

Needanewbeginning
on 11/25/14 2:29 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I thought that was also a great suggestion! I decided to wait and see. Your having a lot more done at one time than I did, so I will tell you yes, get both. I think you will need it.

I had a tummy tuck and it would have made the first couple of days at home easier, but each day does get better. I had surgery last Friday, Saturday and Sunday were my worst days (but that was because my pharmacy had my pain meds in the wrong container, don't get me started....) but today getting in and out of bed and toilet are easier.

I would, especially with all your procedures at one time.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Karamay
on 11/25/14 9:54 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

That is good to know that you are getting in/out of bed easier....and only 4 days out from surgery!  That is fantastic!  I hope my recovery is like yours!  I think I will go for both items....can't hurt & tHe rental amount for 1 week is $150.

DS (Lap) on 12/18/12 w/ Dr. Onopchenko, HW- 242, SW- 231, GW- 130  Height - 5'3"

Needanewbeginning
on 11/25/14 10:57 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Great idea! One week should be good. My back is killing me and I don't sleep well on my back, but honest each day is better.

Wont be long now! Sooo exciting!

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Ihearttennis
on 11/25/14 6:11 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I have been searching for a place to rent a chair lift and can't find one.  I live in New Orleans, do you have any recommendations on where to rent one? It seems around here they are only for sale.  I would rent one for two weeks if I could.

Good luck!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Karamay
on 11/25/14 9:59 am - NJ
DS on 12/18/12

I am renting from a mom/pop place in Cape May, NJ.....no where near your neck of the woods!  I bet if you called your surgeon or PCP they could give you suggestions on medical supply rentals.  I looked at buying, but a chair would be $800+ and then what would I do with it?!?!?!

Needanewbeginning
on 11/25/14 11:03 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Here in Canada, we can rent these kind of things from medical supply places like home health care through a pharmacy. Maybe there is something under home health care? Oh, what about these services where people come to your home to care for you, ours are called Saint Elizabeth health care. There may be something in your area and they perhaps can give you names of rental places? 

At the very least, a cane would help you too? I took my old one I used during my recovery from a SCA. It really helped me pull up using my arms and legs and not my stomach. Oh Lordy it hurts using your stomach the first couple of days, just being honest 😳

Annette 😄

butterfly3851
on 11/27/14 10:49 am - TX

I couldn't find a lift chair to rent in the Houston area - ended up buying an electric recliner.  Tummy tuck & hysterectomy next week!  Decided not to get the toilet riser or walker.  

Annakay76
on 11/27/14 10:59 am

One week will be good, the first 3-4 days are rough. I've heard about a device that let's women pee standing up! The blog runsforcookies has great documentation of her LBL!

pinkpeonies
on 11/29/14 8:32 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Hi Kara,

I haven't read any of the other responses yet but figured I'd respond based on my own experience. I had an extended abdominoplasty with diastasis recti and umbilical hernia repair in late May this year. I rented an electric lift/recliner chair for my recovery. It was $200/month and VERY much well worth it. I slept in that thing for at least a week, possibly more (I don't remember now), although it was a huge relief when I realized I'd recovered enough to sleep in my own bed. I used the recliner for daytime and naps. It was a HUGE help. Close to the end of my one month, I called to let the company know they could pick it up, but it was another 2-3 weeks before they could actually get here, so I took advantage while I could. I never had a problem getting on and off the toilet so cannot speak to that question.

If you rent a lift/recliner, you're going to want it for at LEAST two weeks, if not longer. Check with the rental companies--I thought the same thing you did--one or two weeks, tops. But the company I went with rents for a month at a time and I really did need more time and loved having it for as long as I did. There was no extra charge for the extra weeks (since I called for pickup within the 30 days allowed--might be something you want to check with your rental company).

I've heard wonderful things about Dr. Capella, but that is a lot of surgery to have at one time. You will want all the help you can get. I'm thinking good thoughts for you and hoping for a quick recovery with a recliner as comfy as mine was! :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

5/27/14 - Extended abdominoplasty with hernia and diastasis recti repair

12/20/14 - Breast reduction/mastopexy with bra line back lift

Most Active