Tummy Tuck Dec. 22...I have Girdle Questions!

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/14 12:20 am

I am having a tummy tuck on December 22 as long as my iron improves.  I didn't know it was so low and had to be put on prescription ferrous gluconate and folic acid.  Thank God I did my pre-op bloodwork early in December because I found out earlier rather than later.  So, pray that I get good enough numbers to have it done.  I've gone from 330lbs to about 170 and I have all this skin that is really giving me issues.

About the tummy tuck...my mother recently had one done.  When she came home, obviously she had in the two drains as we all do I'm sure.  However, she came home wearing a girdle.  I don't know why but the place where the drains were in her body were bleeding because of the pressure of the girdle.  She took off the girdle until she got the drains out a week later and she was fine.  When I went for my pre-op appt., I mentioned this and the doc said he didn't know why that happened to her but you have to wear a girdle as soon as you have the surgery which I totally get...I just don't want the same thing to happen to me.  The scheduling lady was telling me that she had a tummy tuck and instead of like a girdle with legs, she wore like a kind of corset, but not a corset...a wrap-around one that was just fine.  I don't know if anyone else can elaborate on their experiences of what they wore coming home, but I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, based on your experiences, what would you wear up to the doc office and back home?  Big pants and a big shirt or a long gown/robe kind of thing?  I'd also be interested to know how long until you could get around good...even with drains is fine...Thanks for any advices you might have!

sassygirl1410
on 12/10/14 2:08 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I'm  having abdominal reconstruction--basically a tummy tuck with hernia repair.  I will be wearing a 4 panel binder after surgery.  They will put one on me at the end of the operation.  I bought a second one from Amazon.  I'm having surgery Dec. 23! 

cutekatie
on 12/10/14 7:14 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I had a tummy tuck and mons lift in August.

I came home with a compression garment that had a strap that went between my legs (to compress my mons).

I had 3 drains and the compression garment pushed against the drains. I didn't have any bleeding but it was very uncomfortable to move around. My drains were removed after a week which was a good thing.

I wore large pyjamas pants (I'm normally a medium) and a front button shirt because I was told it hurt to raise your arms above your head. I also wore flipflops so I didn't have to worry about putting on shoes.

In terms of moving around I was sent home a few hours after surgery and was walking around my house. I was hunched over but was told that walking around was good for blood circulation. The week I had my drains in I drove my son to and from camp, walking around the mall, but also sat in front of the tv and relaxed alot.

I was off work for 2 weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Needanewbeginning
on 12/10/14 12:41 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Hi there, I had my tummy tuck with mons repair on November 21st. Here, they put you in what they call a binder so its on you when you leave surgery. It's a wrap that goes around your lower stomach that closes with Velcro. So it sits from just above your belly button to the top of your mons. It's like a girdle in a way I suppose, just a lot more support. Ha, come to think of it, I wish I had one preop to hold my panni up and in, lol!

i had two drains as well, on each hip, so yeah the binder was a pain, but its manageable. 

I went to surgery in baggy sweat pants and could barely get them on the next day. I was three and a half inches larger at my waist, ugh, swelling! 

Good luck, nice Christmas present!

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/10/14 5:54 pm

My surgeon supplies Surgical compression garments that have the crotch area open so if you have drains in the mons pubis, they are not disturbed.  Your surgeon may give you a different garment, but you really have to wear it 24/7 and only remove it for showers.  I had to wear mine for 6 weeks and then I wore it for another 6 months.  My surgeon buys the ones from www.designveronique.com and www.marenagroup.com  Both are excellent suppliers.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/14 8:49 pm

I love to hear how everyone else's went.  It really helps me prepare mentally for what I can expect.  Thank you for all of the advice and tips and for telling me about what you wore and how you moved around.  I think at my doc office they have the binder and the 'girdle' thing with the open part so you can use the bathroom, too.  I don't know which one they'll give me but I'll update and let y'all know.  I'll go this weekend and get the things I think I'll need to have.  Thank you all again and congratulations to you all on your weight loss and your hard work!

butterfly3851
on 12/12/14 10:50 pm, edited 12/12/14 10:51 pm - TX

Ok - I'm a week out with my tummy tuck and hysterectomy.  I went home with the binder and the two drains.  I'm short-waisted so I felt the binder did press some on my drains.  I did not have enough maxi pads for me at home- sent friends to the store.  I did one long wise and one crossways on the front - if that makes sense to help with the draining.  I used a lot of old big cotton "grannie panties" this first week to hep with the excess drainage - changed panties a couple of times a day.  My experience may have been cause I'm short waisted.

Just an inconvenience - no big deal when I mentioned it to my doctor's staf***** the drains out Friday - yeah!  Life is much better!

On a good note - been on extra-strength tylenol only for past 3 days - I do have some muscle "rippling or moving or something" that gets my attention every now and then (One of the doctors I researched gave muscle relaxers but my doctor doest - bummer - I could use them!0

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/14 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with me about your experience.  It helps me to know what to get on my weekend wal mart trip this coming week.  I also have to think about my family groceries because every time I send my husband to the store, he gets the wrong thing.  We have to be picky about the fat free/sugar free or all natural things for us and the kids, and I always take care of the shopping.  He tries though :) 

So I'm thinking I'll need some big white granny draws, some granny pads, and a couple 'big' outfits like sweatpants and a shirt. I also gotta make sure I have enough of my protein, vitamins/supplements, and protein snacks so he won't have to get them.  

Im gonna email the nurse this week and ask if I'll be in a binder or girdle thing.  Also I have to have my iron rechecked.  Hearing your experience helps me prepare.  Thank you and good luck in the coming days!

butterfly3851
on 12/13/14 11:35 pm - TX

Another thing - I'm wearing a soft tank top/camisole under my binder every day/night.  And living at home in my gowns and loose pjs!  Loving the heating pad for my back- it's a must!

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/14 3:15 am

I'll add these things to my list!!!!

Most Active