TT vetrans, I need your help.!

PakajunaTufty
on 12/14/14 8:50 am

So I had my abdominoplasty (with muscle repair) on Monday dec.8th marking tomorrow as one week post op. For the past 3-4 days I have been getting debilitating muscle spasms in my belly that range from the upper abdomen under the ribs to bellow the belly button and all through my lower abdomen that feel like period cramping. These spasms get so intense I can't bear it and it ends up sending my back muscles and thigh muscles into spasm from the pain. My question is, who all has had a tummy tuck and has these horrible muscle spasms? How long did they last? When will my stomach feel like it did before the surgery and I don't have to worry about wakin in the middle of the night to "Charlie horses" in my entire midsection? Any TT please reply. These are so bad and I just want them to go away. Everything else, such as the incision pain I can deal with but these muscle spasms are something else. 

Thank you for any advice and support! 

godzilla
on 12/14/14 2:46 pm - Israel
My guess is it is nerves waking up from the surgery.
I think I got mine off and on for 2-3 weeks.
Now wait for Swell Hell which can take months to go away.
Mikimi in Israel
Ashley in Belgium
on 12/14/14 11:32 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Besides checking in with your surgeon.... I find retightening my binder helps with any kind of muscle pain. Or even loosening it if I am too swollen.  Keep on top of the pain meds - I ended up needing stronger stuff at 2 weeks out and still take one a day at almost 2 months out.  I had severe muscle tightening/reconstruction.  I was told to eat 8 to 10 x a days to avoid the fullness, nausea feelings and this has worked wonders.  This was my 6th abdominal surgery and by far the absolute most painful ever.

Hope you can get things under control soon - Hugs

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

PakajunaTufty
on 12/15/14 12:01 am
On December 15, 2014 at 7:32 AM Pacific Time, Ashley the BelgaQueen wrote:

Besides checking in with your surgeon.... I find retightening my binder helps with any kind of muscle pain. Or even loosening it if I am too swollen.  Keep on top of the pain meds - I ended up needing stronger stuff at 2 weeks out and still take one a day at almost 2 months out.  I had severe muscle tightening/reconstruction.  I was told to eat 8 to 10 x a days to avoid the fullness, nausea feelings and this has worked wonders.  This was my 6th abdominal surgery and by far the absolute most painful ever.

Hope you can get things under control soon - Hugs

Thank you for your reply. What I don't understand is why you needed stronger stuff starting at week 2? I thought it gets better after time and people normally stop pain med all together after week 2? 

Ashley in Belgium
on 12/15/14 4:36 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I have had some serious complications relating to the hernia repair portion of my TT and after a bout of vomiting 10 days post-op that lasted for several days I needed more effective pain meds.  Everyone is different - and everyone heals at their own pace, but I am only now feeling better and am still no even close to normal.  My PS said it may be another month before I feel more ike myself again.  But she also says I am way outside the norm...  

I just remembered that my PS recommeded and I did take for a week pre-op and then for 10 days post-op a Magnesium supplement (450g x 1 day) to help with muscle cramps.  I didnt have any but I took the supplements so who knows?  Worth asking about in your case.  Good luck!  I does get better - patience is hard to come by sometimes I know.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

butterfly3851
on 12/17/14 4:19 am - TX

One of the plastic surgeons I consulted with prescribe Valium for muscle relaxers for her tummy tuck patients for the muscle spasms - sounds like you need some muscle relaxers to help.  

Good luck to you!

DrL
on 12/20/14 2:37 am - Houston, TX

Muscle spasms are not at all uncommon after TT with muscle repair, and they must be treated immediately to prevent the related issues you seem to be having.  Flexeril, Skelaxin, or the like should promptly "put you on your butt" but will break the spasm. The inflamed and irritated muscles also need an antiinflammatory like Advil to help them settle.

Injecting the muscles prior to repair with numbing medicine during surgery has helped decrease the spasms I have seen, but if they do happen its important to get control of them ASAP.  

The disclaimer:

"Anything I say including: text, images, audio, or other formats are for informational purposes only. My comments are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read here.  Be sure and have a blessed holiday season, and remember how far you have come this year !"

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active