Inner Thigh Lift

TRabbit
on 12/19/14 1:22 am

The purpose of this e-mail is just to obtain confirmation or similar stories and to know that it will be ok

I had a thigh lift (inner), incision from groin to knee, on 7/7/2014.  The process has been horrible.  I went back into surgery 10/28/2014 to remove a seroma and to correct the area at the knee. 

Problems: Swelling and Water collection in the inner thigh area.  The surgeon had to cut holes in my thigh to allow the fluid to drain.  I am still in bandages 5 months out.  I still have to wear compression garments. I have to pack the holes with a ribbon "like" tape and bandage them up multiple time a day because water drains out.  My thighs still look deformed with a wave like appearance.  I can't work out to full capacity. The hole in my leg hurts from having to stick the packing tape in them with a wooden stick. 

Has anyone else had this problem and just tell me how long did it take to fully recover? 

Thank you for your responses

T

AZDee
on 12/20/14 1:53 am - Gilbert, AZ

I am sooooo sorry to learn of this, I had no idea you had been going through all of this, you are in my prayers for a speedy recovery now, you may want to check out realself.com and read up on inner thigh lifts and see what others have had to deal with after their surgeries.

Take care,

TRabbit
on 12/22/14 1:40 am

Hi AZDEE!

I have read and read and read; everyone talks about the scar and the recovery time but I have not been able to locate anyone that speaks to the swelling issue and water collection in the area. 

I was really hopeful and prayerful and up beat about this process but it is starting to take a toll on me.  I still can't and won't wear anything that shows by thighs and in my mind, I am in the same position I was in before actually worse because at least before my thighs "appeared" uniformed in clothes but now they don't..oh and now I am broke (lol). haha that's the real funny part.  Beanie Weanie for days....

I saved for years to have this last part done and now I don't know what to do.  Onward and upward - - Right...

DrL
on 12/20/14 2:28 am - Houston, TX

Hi T, that is a tough recovery and let me say I too have had patients who have gone "the long way" in recovering.  The big issue is the clear fluid that collects around the knees, and I have dramatically changes the way I work in that area to try and prevent it, but it still can happen.  Opening and packing the areas is about the only way I can get them to go away but I usually see improvement in 2 weeks on most of those collections.

I do ultrasound in my office to try and judge which collections will need this before they get too big.

The uneven skin you see is probably from a  combination of swelling and  early scar tissue and it generally gets better.

For your part, maintain good nutrition, get your protein, and do things like leg elevation and massage (if OK with your doc) to encourage the fluid to drain.  You may need to ease off on leg exercises for now, but again consult with your PS on this. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
jeterway
on 12/22/14 2:15 am

Did you have drains in?  I would have thought that they would have collected all of the fluid resulting from the thigh lift.  I know that they won't pull the drains out until the fluid output is below a certain amount for a day or two.  I had my drains in for quite some time.  I had a complication which I believe extended the amount of time for the drains. 

TRabbit
on 12/22/14 2:55 am

No drains, just holes.  I plug / fill the holes with a ribbon "like" tape and then cover with gauze and pads. If you can only imagine the wardrobe work around.  I carry a bag full of pads, ribbon, tape, scissors, and gauzes. 

Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/24/14 10:59 am

Did you have drains in the beginning? I had the Long Thigh and Large Lipo done in 2011.  I had my drains in for close to 6 weeks post op.  I was draining over 300 in 24 hours for weeks.  My ankles were swelling and I feared I would have lymphadema (worse than I already do) -- But around the 6 weeks timeframe the draining stopped and I was able to pull the drains and my legs became normally shaped.  I am having my thighs done in 3 stages as I do have lymphadema and my surgeon want to be cautious.  Have a serious conversation with your surgeon.  Ask the questions you have asked here.  How often has he seen this?  Has it taken this long to resolve?  What happens if it continues?  Does he have a different plan?  I do know that the more activity I did, I more fluid built up and drained.  If I rested with my feet elevated, I drained less.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

jeterway
on 12/22/14 3:59 am

Wow, I cannot imagine a thigh lift with the long incision without drains.  While they are a pain in the butt, drains will collect the liquid that is generated as a result of the surgery and the healing process.  There is usually a little bit of seepage around the drain site but all in all it is a much better solution to just having holes in your legs for the fluid to pour out of.  While you do have to maintain the drains, I would imagine it is much less disgusting of a process than cleaning and packing the holes.  I did have a complication in my thigh lift, so my drains were in for quite some time but other than the caring for them while showering and dressing, it wasn't really a problem.  Is it standard for your plastic surgeon to not use drains?

AZDee
on 12/23/14 12:31 pm - Gilbert, AZ

I am sure there were drains in the beginning, this is 5 months out.  It sounds as if the lymphatic system may be compromised.  I knew of a  woman who had that happen when she had her arm surgery.  I also have a friend *****cently had a thigh lift, well more like a leg lift that extended all the way down to her calves.  She went to a Dr. in San Antonio who specializes it such dramatic surgeries.  She knew going into it that there was a chance it could affect her lymphatic system, fortunately she seems to be fine 5 months out.   You may want to post your question on www.realself.com to the plastic surgeons there to get a unbiased response to your question, and hopefully some help and answers on how to best treat this situation... 

TRabbit
on 1/3/15 8:04 am

AZDee,

Thanks for your responses and input.  I really don't think a person can prepare for this surgery IF things don't go well.  If everything goes great .... GREAT !  but if things don't /  be ready.  Mentally, Physically, and Monetarily.  It can all take a toll on you.  I was very cautious of intimate relationships before (with the loose skin) and that is still the case.  I would say worse because I have been in bandages and gauzes for months ooh and black pants for months!  I am looking forward to the day to be able to hi five my surgical team and say we made it. 

Most Active