Arm Lift/Panniculectomy removal gone wrong???

leelee76
on 12/21/14 1:02 am

Looking for some feedback/insight before I lose my mind :(..  I had surgery11/26 for an arm lift and a pani removal although I didn't have much stomach skin the surgeon felt there was enough to make it worth doing.  I was super excited as my insurance covered both in full with just me having to take care of a co-pay  So here I am almost 4 weeks post-op and healing great.  The problem I have is you can clearly tell that someone worked on my left side, did a fabulous job on that side, arm nice and tight skin no longer loose and the stomach area nice and flat then on the right, the arm fat still noticeable and hanging obviously better than prior to surgery and my stomach there's at least a half inch of skin difference compared to the left.  Do I have an recourse, can the surgeon fix this without me having to pay for a revision? Will  he fix it?  It may not be all that noticeable to some but its very noticeable to me and my fiance even mentioned it.  It seems like one person did the left and a completely different person did the right side, the work is shoddy at best on the right.  Feedback help?  its really affecting me emotionally at this point

Thanks all!

Bronco0605
on 12/21/14 8:09 pm

Could it be swelling?

Bronco0605
on 12/21/14 8:10 pm

Could it be swelling?

Bronco0605
on 12/21/14 8:10 pm
Laura in Texas
on 12/21/14 8:56 pm

Sadly you usually get what you paid for.

That being said, it is hard for surgeons to get everything perfect so touch ups are often needed. Usually there is a cost involved. Often times surgeons will do their part of the revision for free but make the patient pay the surgical center cost.

Hopefully everything will look better when the swelling subsides.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cutekatie
on 12/21/14 11:06 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

I've only had a tummy tuck so can't really comment on the arm lift.

I would be taking pictures on a weekly basis (side, front, back, different positions).  Just to see the gradual reduction of swelling and also to document what it looks like.

As other have said on here it takes a long time for swelling to go down and for the final results to be visible. I would be waiting that long before discussing a revision.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

emelar
on 12/22/14 1:40 am - TX

Healing doesn't happen evenly.  One side is probably more swollen that the other, making it look lopsided.  The surgeon won't touch you for a revision anyway for at least 6 months, so I'd recommend patience (I know - very hard!) and see what your final result really is.

As far as revisions, that's a conversation you have to have with your surgeon.  Most of them won't charge the surgeon fee, but you will get charged for the surgical suite, assuming the revision can't be done in the office.  But it varies from surgeon to surgeon.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 12/22/14 1:55 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Are you scheduled for a follow up at some point? hopefully the surgeon notices and addresses it himself during the visit, if not you should bring it up and ask about it. 

jeterway
on 12/22/14 2:22 am

It is tough to get things exactly the same on both sides.  Some of it is because we are usually different and I would think the surgeon moving from side to side would account for some of it as well.  But it shouldn't be a substantial difference.  I would think that given how close out you are, that it could be some swelling.  Are you still wearing a compression garment?  That might help even out the results.  I would speak to the surgeon about it on your next followup.  In my experience, my PS has always been willing to tweak things after waiting for the healing time to pass.  I have had several procedures and during each we have tweaked something from the former - even if it is just some additional lipo.  I am now at the point where I don't need the OR anymore and he has done some minor things in his office.  These things really do take some time to settle down - I have learned to be patient as what my PS tells me is the way that it works out.  Good luck with your recovery.

leelee76
on 12/22/14 2:50 am

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone.  I'm almost 99.9% sure its not swelling, you can clearly see the difference between both sides not only on my arms but my stomach as well.  I can certainly understand the swelling and account for that but the difference is there, not perhaps to your average person unless you are looking for it but once you get close its obvious.   My fiance noticed right away.  There's perhaps a half inch if not slighly more on the right side vs. left.  I've been wearing the compression garments faithfully and will continue as I want the best results possible.  I'm due for my next follow up on 1/12 and will definitely mention to the surgeon at that point my concerns and hopefully together we can come up with a solution I just hope he doesn't dismiss my concerns as I know they are not unfounded. 

Again, thank you so much for the feedback and Happy and safe Holidays to all!

Most Active