Insurance coverage?

Rianne D.
on 12/20/14 6:26 am - MO

Has anyone managed to successfully get insurance coverage for any of their post-bariatric plastics?  I'm 7 years out, but boy...$20K is a lot of money...

Myspace CodesMyspace LayoutsMyspace CodesMyspace LayoutsMyspace Codes, Myspace GraphicsMyspace Layouts

"I come this way only once, so let me do all the good I can, for I
will never come this way again."
scales.gif image by strawberryswirlnet
Christi05
on 12/20/14 8:56 am
VSG on 02/05/13

I had my plastics on December 3rd. A Fleur de lis lower body lift. I had to fight to be approved but insurance did pay for the pannilectomy portion of the surgery after a letter from my doctor from it being a medical necessity because of rashes and constant need of antibiotics. I had all my doctors visits and dermatologist visits that pertained to my rashes put together along with the a bunch of pictures of my excess skin and rashes. It was very hard to get it covered but it's possible. My insurance even had pannilectomy listed as an exclusion. I was denied the first time but the second time is when I submitted Everything. The first time was the standard plastic surgeon request. I ended up paying a little over 9k for the surgery. Insurance only paid around 2k so far. I'll see how that ends up.. I'm still looking to get a upper body lift in a few years, not in a hurry after this one. Ouch. lol

Best of luck to you! :)

Rianne D.
on 12/21/14 12:08 am - MO

Thanks so much for your reply!  I've never had any rashes or infections thankfully (or maybe not thankfully since it won't help me get approved) but...I will at least try...worse they can say is no ;-)

Myspace CodesMyspace LayoutsMyspace CodesMyspace LayoutsMyspace Codes, Myspace GraphicsMyspace Layouts

Laura in Texas
on 12/20/14 9:00 pm

Totally depends on your insurance carrier. Call and ask.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Rianne D.
on 12/21/14 12:09 am - MO

Absolutely I will call...just wanted to see if anyone else had any luck :)

Ihearttennis
on 12/21/14 9:01 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

ihave bcbstx and aftersubmitting photos and letter from my doctor I was approved for excision of skin.  it saved me about $3,000.  my total bill I paid out of pocket was $26,000..

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

DrL
on 12/24/14 2:33 am - Houston, TX

Agree with everything said above...individual requirements vary from plan to plan.

Please check the articles I have written on the subject at:

http://drlomonaco.com/houston/patient-resources/

The links to the Cigna, BCBS, and AETNA policiy guidlines are still current !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Iam_with_the_Band
on 12/24/14 10:49 am

And remember it's your employer who determines what is covered and what is not.  I have had to pay cash for all of my procedures.  Even after losing over 300 lbs, my insurance had a full exclusion to all skin removal surgeries. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

momgwen5
on 1/11/15 11:30 pm - Westlake, LA

I have lost great insurance that coverered 100% of bypass surgery 4 years ago. I have lost 115 pounds, didn't have loose skin until just recently.  I have started loosing again, not trying to but this latest weight loss has caused but sag, tummy sag, arm sag. I know the cheapest way to fix this is to just gain 10 pounds. I don't look that great in a size 2. I hate the saggy skin. I don't guess medicare pays to remove it.

Writing this made me realize that I don't need plastic surgery, I need a blood work up with my dr to figure out why im loosing.

Thanks for being here. 

Good luck

Gwen

Rianne D.
on 1/12/15 12:54 am - MO

I hope you get some answers on what's going on, keep us posted!

Most Active