Eating after PS

Angelina H.
on 1/27/15 6:33 am

So preparing for my Lower Body Lift in April.  Traveling out of State for the surgery will need to stay for 1 month.  I have gathered some great feedback from those who have gone before me.  Asking for a tad more info.

My Mother will be traveling with me and we are looking at accommodations.  I am thinking for the first couple weeks after this surgery I will not feel much like eating more than Broth and Saltines. 

Am I wrong?  Should I plan on stocking up on real food and at what point would I feel like eating?

Thanks again folks.

Sherrie P.
on 1/27/15 7:23 am
RNY on 02/06/13

My appetite was normal by day 2.. But everyone is different!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Crazeru
on 1/27/15 8:02 am

I up'd my protein to 175-200g for a month+ before PS and kept it up for 3-4 months postop.   With my compression garments, my restriction was more than normal.  A few bites, and wait for 15min, then a few more.  Like when you were a DS postop.  I supplemented with protein bars, shakes and bullets.  I did eat real food, but a grande shrimp ****tail would last me for 3 feedings.  I had no problems with any of the food that I ate, unlike after my DS where certain foods and smells were bad.

Remember you need the protein to help heal.  I also started back on my Vit E about 5 days after my PS.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Ihearttennis
on 1/27/15 10:34 am - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

My appetite was back to normal by day two as well, and I  did up my protein.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Mell
on 1/27/15 11:24 pm

Both times my appetite was back after a few days restriction was increased but it is important to eat nutritious protein dense foods for recovery.  I have seen on TV at least that people can have complications such as incision opening when they do not eat properly.

Good luck!

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/27/15 11:36 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had zero appetite as a post-op - after my RNY and after my plastics it was even worse because while I knew I had to eat - I physically couldn't.  After much suffering and losing an unreasonable amount of weight in a short period of time it was recommended to me to eat 8 or 10x a day.  Tiny amounts of high protein and fat.  This was about 2 months post-op TT and it has made a huge difference in my overall well being, strength and weight stability.  

So I recommend that you stock up on protein - whatever works for you but eat it!  You need it to heal and to get back your strength.  Be prepared to drink shakes, protein bars and to eat real food if it appeals.  Hope everything goes well for you!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

emelar
on 1/28/15 12:46 am - TX

I was wonky from pain meds for a few days, and my appetite wasn't great, but it returned pretty quickly.  I had more restriction than usual because of the compression garment and swelling.  I made sure I had lots of protein drinks and protein bars.  They were easy to get down and ensured that I wa****ting and exceeding protein goals.  Protein = better healing.  Otherwise, my eating was normal.

aimz822
on 1/29/15 9:34 pm - Caledonia, NY
Revision on 01/14/14

I am 4 weeks out from a TT today. I had my revision VSG after lap band on 1/14/14. I have more restriction now than I ever had even initially and gave me a huge jump start on those last pounds and going  towards maintenance. I drank lots of water and nothing else liquid. I ate only dense protein and I attribu that combo to lots of energy and quick healing. I honestly thought my doctor had not even given me any restriction..... Reality was I ate poor protein choices and was too many carbs. Reading some posts about "resetting" made me realize restriction was going to come with the denser proteins.  The TT was my treat, but also the catalyst to fix what I don't think I ever got right initially. 

http://www.band2banana.blogspot.com   Surgery Date: Jan. 14, 2014

Angelina H.
on 1/30/15 5:47 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  Really appreciated.

DrL
on 1/31/15 1:17 pm - Houston, TX

Remember that you have a LOT of healing to accomplish after something as involved as an LBL.  The incisions themselves are only part of the story...a good result requires many areas heal properly so that the skin "sticks" down the underlying tissues.

Your body needs nutrition immediately after surgery, so in spite of depressed appetite you have to do your best to eat as soon as possible after surgery.  Rather than rely on a "set amount" of protein, you should eat a balanced diet with 25 - 40% of your total calories as protein. This ensures that you also get the carbs and fat needed for energy.  Without those, and if you just eat protein, your body will produce energy from the excess protein, which is called gluconeogenesis and is an unhealthy process. 

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Most Active