Expectations and revisions

katier825
on 3/6/15 7:19 am

I have had 3 separate procedures.  First was BL/BA (uneventful) 3 years ago, second was scheduled LBL and Brachioplasty in December 2013. I had complications during surgery, so he was only able to complete the LBL and I had the Brachioplasty done 6 months later in May 2014 (had to pay anesthesia again).  It's been 10 months since the Brachioplasty and I am so disappointed in the way the scars healed compared to my other surgeries.

The scars on my breasts and lower torso are very thin and barely visible now.  My arms are a totally different result. I have a small (2" or so) area that healed nicely like the the others.  The rest of that arm and the whole other arm are wide, thicker scars.  I also had 3 laser scar treatments last year as part of the package. 

I totally understood that I was swapping hanging skin for scars, but because of the way I healed from my other surgeries, I guess I expected similar results.  I did ask the Dr. if I could expect similar results and he thought so, but of course, there is no guarantee that you will heal the same. 

I had a follow up appt. today (I think they were going to take pics) but was only able to see the nurse (Dr. was heading to a conference).  She said the scars will fade more, but the thickness of them will probably not change.  She is going to talk to him and get back to me next week. She thought he would be able to do revisions, I'd only have to pay the anesthesia fee.  I am hesitant that I might have the same results the 2nd time around, not to mention paying anesthesia again.

I thought that I would be thrilled after having plastics, but I am quite depressed at this point. I live in FL and was hoping to feel comfortable in short sleeves/sleeveless, but I am so self-conscious of my scars, I find that I generally opt for longer sleeves to cover them.

I have been searching for before/after REVISION photos, but am not having any luck.  Does anyone have links for such photos?  Or if you have had a similar situation, did you have a revision and happy with results?

NadiaM
on 3/6/15 7:30 am
Hi Katie! I'm actually having surgery in south Florida in 2 weeks with doctor Shuster. Doing a brachioplasty and a BA. Which surgeon did you go to?

katier825
on 3/6/15 7:32 am

Dr. Durkin in Vero Beach.

Sherrie P.
on 3/6/15 10:22 am
RNY on 02/06/13

My breast and tummy scars are better than my brachioplasty scars. They doc said it is because of how much use our arms get and of course healing genetics. I am doing laser, essential oils, silicone gel.. anything and they still aren't flat and are very red 6 months out.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Iam_with_the_Band
on 3/6/15 5:25 pm

My surgeon said that the skin on your arms and legs will heal differently than the skin on your breasts and tummy.  My brachioplasty is not the same scars as the ones on my thighs and tummy.  They are thicker and wider.  I'm not unhappy with them, my scars are hidden with his excellent placement and after 5 years, they have faded quite a lot.  I am able to wear the sleeveless tops now. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

butterfly3851
on 3/7/15 12:55 am - TX

Thank you for posting this topic.  i'm seriously considering brachioplasty with a BL/BR and the scars really scare me on my arms.  

Wishing you the best!

Jennifer K.
on 3/12/15 4:08 am - Phoenix , AZ

I had my brachio this past July.. in April my surgeon is going to excise my scars - basically cut them out and re-sew my arms back. Some parts healed nicely, others are red thick and raised... I had a few rounds of steroid injections with little success. I have done my scar therapy using the silicone sheets and gel as well as massaging. Surgeon said because they pull the arm skin so tight, it can cause too much tension on the scar causing it to spread/raise... they want to pull it tight for the best result otherwise you will have too much saggy skin... so its not an exact science. From my understanding the revision of the scars is a quick procedure under general anesthesia... no compression required after, they will be wrapped a day or so... I will have to, once again, keep the scars out of the sun another year which stinks with summer coming.. but I am hoping will be worth it. If you want to send me a message I can give you my person email and you can follow up with me next month to see progress, I am happy to send you pictures of what they look like now. I am scheduled 4/28 for the procedure... its costing me $1000 for everything, which I was happy with... I was thinking like 2-3000$ which I would have had a meltdown over.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

katier825
on 3/13/15 11:17 am

JenniferK - have you seen any revision photos?  I've been looking online but no luck yet.  I'm curious what kind of success is with a revision.  Has you doctor given you any insight on expected results?

Jennifer K.
on 3/15/15 11:16 pm - Phoenix , AZ

I have found very little online even relating to scar issues for the arms... its crazy! I posted here previously and didn't have any respond stating they had the same issue.

My surgeon said after the scars should be like "normal" arm lift scars... not thick/raised/spread and should eventually heal with the thin white line.

I am going to invest in massage scar therapy this time as well to ensure I get a good result.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

katier825
on 3/16/15 8:51 pm

What I don't understand is what do they do differently the 2nd time around that makes the scars heal any better than the first time.  Is there less tension on it?  I wish there were more info online. I sure would hate to go thru it again and have the same results.

Most Active