Anyone have bilateral breast filling done instead of implants? LONG post

Needanewbeginning
on 4/8/15 11:08 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Totally LONG post.

A couple of months ago, literally two weeks before my brachioplasty was scheduled in February I got a call that my local hospital couldn't go ahead with my surgery and I would have to find another hospital and surgeon to perform it. Ugh! Upset, you bet. I totally understood why, I really did, but I was upset. My issue is that I have an ICD. It's a pacemaker with a defibrillator. Anyway, not to get tooooo into my whole crazy story but the bottom line was even though I had had my tummy tuck at the same hospital last November and there was no issue or concern of my ICD, there was one now. Reason is that my ICD clinic (in another city, was asked what their protocol would be for this type of surgery. Of course they have staff at that hospital who are trained in turning off these units and reprogramming them, where my local hospital does not. So, they reported to the chief of anesthesia at my hospital that they recommend an off and reprogram protocol as the incisions and cauterizing are within 15cm of my ICD. Damn it. Ok, I know, it's literally for my safety, I know, I know....

Whew, ok so off I go, calling the manufacturer of the unit (Medtronic) speaking with the head guy in Ontario, then for Canada, yup I kept escalating really because even the Medtronic rep said that turning me off doesn't REALLY happen unless they do open heart surgeries. So, I kept pushing. 

I then got in to have my follow up two weeks ago with my ICD clinic and they had their electrophysiology guy and head nurse come in to go over it all with me. They ALL agreed, they don't need turn it off, they would suggest the same protocol as my anesthesiologist did for my tummy tuck, used a magnet that basically stops my unit from giving me an inappropriate shock. 

Sooo, then I wait for my surgeon to get me a date and now of course I am not interested in having this done in the summer as we spend most of it on our little boat so it wouldn't be much fun recovering and not being able to enjoy swimming right? I get the call today and have booked in for September 24th, yay! Now, back to my local hospital I have to go, which is all good and my fingers are crossed that they have all the new paperwork from my ICD clinic to agree to a magnet during surgery.

Told ya, LONG post!

So, now the real point of my post was really not all this blah blah blah but my question really is this, I've read a lot about implants and breast lifts. My girls are 34B's from 47C's. My sister has had implants for about 30 years, they look great but I just really want a little more fullness and the believe it or not, my girls don't point to my toes as badly since my tummy tuck, so a little filler would help I think? At least that's what a couple of plastics consults suggested. They suggested something called bilateral breast filling. It's where they use fat from the lipo he is going to do on my flanks, back and a little more on my tummy area. 

Has anyone had experience with this? I was told I don't really have fat but he can try to get as much as possible from the areas and use it to fill my girls.

Anyone have this done? 

Thanks 😄

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Tracy D.
on 4/9/15 12:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I want to hear about this too!  I really don't want implants so will have to settle for a B or very small C cup.  But it would be real nice if they could use my excess fat to put a a little plumpness and fullness back in 'em! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Needanewbeginning
on 4/9/15 12:29 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I know eh! As much as I think my sisters implants look great they are a real pain to maintain. They need to be replaced every 10 years etc so there is a lifetime if costs with implants. 

My surgeon has done this process for 20 years and has some amazing results. One consult I went to said I don't have a lot of far left but why not try and if he can't he can't? 

I know having this done may cause mammogram issues.

Hope to hear from others here on what their thoughts are and results if try have had this done.

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

DrL
on 4/9/15 1:23 pm - Houston, TX

Fat grafting to the breast is a great thing in theory.  The benefit is you never have to worry about implant rupture, scarring, or something that's not "you" inside.  

The problems are that only modest size increases can usually be done.  Google it and you will see what I mean.  Also, be on the lookout for photos taken right after surgery when the bandages are still on, or the incisions are obviously still fresh.  The swelling makes the breasts look bigger, and this is misleading. Photos 3 months later after swelling has subsided completely are more appropriate to judge the final result. 

Here are some random sites I just Googled with results for your perusal

http://estrellaaesthetics.com/body-plastic-surgery/fat-grafting/

http://www.drcassileth.com/before-afters/breast/#grafting-cosmetic

http://cosmeticsurgeonoftampa.com/photos-tampa-clearwater-st-pete/fat-transfer/

I and many other plastic surgeons are also very concerned about interference with mammography, because the fat that does not "take" can calcify or scar, and mimic a breast mass on mammography.  My personal feeling is that the jury is still out on fat grafting to the breast.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/9/15 7:50 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I am very curious about this - could it be used to 'even out' a breast in cases where there is asymmetry following a lift and implants? I have very very slight asymmetry and I don't want to have to cut into them again but at the same time I don't want to leave things as they are either so an injection of fat (removed from other choice parts of my body!) would be great! Is it done through syringes or does one have to cut anyway?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Needanewbeginning
on 4/9/15 10:42 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Thanks so much for your reply. I really think my sisters implants look great and she loves them, but for me, I just want a little fill, if that makes sense? He may not even get much fat from doing lipo on my flanks and tummy so I guess if I even ask him to go ahead with this he may not be be to. 😳

I will check out your links, thank you. My husband is pretty concerned about mammogram results as well, do I need the added stress of what if's, never mind the extra testing to find out if its a cancerous lump or fat calcified? 

Truly appreciate your info. 

Annette 😄

DrL
on 4/10/15 12:03 am - Houston, TX

Further experience on fat grafting in WLS patients...they don't work too well when your body is programmed to burn fat.  I just can't get free fat grafts that I inject to do much for my WLS patients.

A great article from Brazil, where they have been grafting fat for years.  The caveat is they do it in several operations and put small amounts in each time.  This makes sense as the fat has a better chance to grow and less of it dies.  (imagine dumping a whole bag of grass seeds versus evenly spreading them over time):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19495856  

As for the lumps from fat grafting, I think radiologists can do extra studies to tell "good lumps from bad" which is helpful, but there still is not any kind of large experience with this.

Implants too can affect mammography but any center with experience and knows you have implants can take special images to "look around" the implants. and remember, 90% of cancers are detected on examination, so self exam and regular breast exams with followup are important so as not to delay the diagnosis, treatment, or outcome of breast cancer.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
Needanewbeginning
on 4/10/15 3:35 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

See, that to me makes total sense why they do this a little at a time. 

I am thinking I may just do lipo but forget about my breasts. 

Thanks again Dr.

Annette 

Ihearttennis
on 4/9/15 10:03 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I asked four different doctors about this during my consults and none of them recommended it.  I was told I wouldn't get the results I wanted and that they would end up sagging again, sooner than later.

I had the Sientra gummy bear implants that don't leak and don't need to be replaced.  It took me a while to get used to them but now I love them.  They look and feel natural and I can finally sleep on my side again.

Good luck with your decision.  I'm glad you got it all worked out with the hospital.  Safety first can sometimes be a pain in the ass

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Needanewbeginning
on 4/9/15 10:44 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Gummy bears, love that! 

Thanks pal! Will have to call you to catch up on how great your doing!!

Annette

Most Active