"Swell hell"

manditude
on 4/26/15 3:55 am

I'm 14 days out from LBL and BL+aug. Pain is okay but the swelling is out of control. I'm wearing Spanx and the binder as my doctor suggested. I feel like I can't breathe or walk or eat. I feel tired all the time from struggling so much. I feel almost worse than I did last week! But last week I was on percocet.

I'm taking only ibuprofen now. (DS is okay with NSAIDS.) 

How long does this stage of swelling last? 

How can I help make this go away? I can't get lymphatic massage until my wounds are closed apparently.

any advice? This is such a struggle right now.

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

emelar
on 4/27/15 1:15 am - TX

One of the miseries of recovery - swell hell!  I'd get to the point where I'd have to go lie down because I felt like I couldn't breathe.  The worst of it will probably last a few weeks.  Then it will gradually - very gradually! - start to reduce.  I had some swelling for the first year, but the worst of it started right about where you are now.  It does get better!

I found nothing that really relieved it.  Limit your salt intake and up your fluids to keep things moving.  Your lymphatic system has been disrupted and it's just setting itself right again.

manditude
on 4/27/15 11:43 am

Thank you! Yeah this week has been rougher than week 2, i think. I can't find a compression outfit that works with my stupid groin drain. Been using various types of Spanx but it's all uncomfortable. lying down with feet up helps a bit. Still outputting 40 mL of the darkest blood from my drain every day. Everything is stiff and I'm just taking ibuprofen. Bleh!!

Glad to know that this is normal and shouldn't last forever. I have been getting sad because the swelling is starting to feel permanent. I worry that it's stretching me out enough to require revision. But I know that's emotional post-op thoughts and I'm working myself up over nothing. Still. :(

-Mandi
DSFacts

emelar
on 4/28/15 1:32 am - TX

The drains are a necessary nuisance.  You'll feel so much better when they're gone.  Just a hint, get a minipad (or gauze, but the minipad works better), cut a slit in it, and slide it around the drain site.  That keeps the drain from being pulled on so much and gives some extra cushioning.

Compression garments - my doc uses Marena brand, stage 2.  They close with a combo of hooks and zippers on each side and are crotchless.  Nothing is truly comfortable at this stage in healing, but at least this garment is fairly easy to get in and out of, and it keeps you feeling secure.  Hang in there!

manditude
on 4/30/15 5:34 am

Thanks again! Yeah I had a gauze pad with a slit in it to keep the tube from pulling. I had the drain removed on day 19 (yesterday) and had a seroma drained (80 mL). I feel so much better today. Seriously. Had a shower, swelling dropped overnight. I just feel better all around.

I've been looking at the marena shapewear suits with long legs especially because I can use it now and after my thigh lift surgery. They seem to have mixed reviews in terms of the sizing but I would like something more secure than my binder! 

Good news at least is that I've dropped 8 lbs of swelling since yesterday. Yayyyyy!

-Mandi
DSFacts

Most Active