Combo TT/BL - do you recommend recliner or bed w/ wedge pillows? Also, heparin (?)

MissNexxie
on 5/4/15 11:32 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Hi all,

Looking forrecommendations for those first 1-2 weeks post op, should I rent a lifting recliner or use my bed with wedge pillows behind the back and under the knees?

I understand the need to be bent at the waist but am curious about best comfort and getting up/lying down concerns and protecting my incisions.

Also, how nasty are those heparin shots to do at home? Not afraid of needles, more of me or hubs administering them incorrectly.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Tracy D.
on 5/5/15 2:36 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My surgery is schedule for July and I plan on renting a lifting recliner.  We have a recliner at home but it's not real easy to get the foot rest up -- and the doc was very specific about no bending/leaning/twisting.  

I thought about the wedge pillows but reasoned that I will be more comfortable in a recliner for a few weeks (I'm a light sleeper and the hubs tossing and turning will disturb me).  Plus a lift recliner will make it easier for me to get up and down without assistance once I get home.  I'll have help for a few days but eventually will be on my own during the day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

manditude
on 5/5/15 12:52 pm

I just had a LBL and BL 25 days ago. I slept in the recliner exclusively until day... 20 or so. But now I'm on my wedge pillow since I can tolerate this much stretching again. I still have a pillow under my legs though. But after 3 weeks in the recliner I needed a change.

so I'd say.. phase 1 is recliner, phase 2 is the wedge... for me anyway. Good luck!

-Mandi
DSFacts
5'1" HW: 360  SW: 337? CW: 132 GW: 130
DS: March 2011, Plastics: LBL+BLA: April 2015

emelar
on 5/6/15 9:40 am - TX

I used my bed with many pillows but, in hindsight, the recliner would have been a whole lot easier and more comfortable.  The bed was comfortable for just laying there, but getting up and down was painful.

Most Active