Wait time for PS

Layla_N_Cancun
on 6/19/15 6:41 am

I am about 3 months away from WLS. I was wondering if someone could tell me how long I must wait after WLS to be ready for PS???

hollykim
on 6/19/15 8:18 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 19, 2015 at 6:41 AM Pacific Time, Layla_N_Cancun wrote:

I am about 3 months away from WLS. I was wondering if someone could tell me how long I must wait after WLS to be ready for PS???

usually after you lose your excess weight and have maintained that weight loss for 6 months to a year.

sor09
on 7/7/15 5:37 pm

Found an out of print Plastic surgery for WLS people... LA-California surgeon. Says wait until your weight is stable, and at least 18 month post op.  the time for waiting is that as you loose from the WLS, your skin is going back. OK not like a teen model or even a model in a bikini, and is based on how much you lost and you current age just a few, and more based on your wants and needs. You need to be even more heather for this, and they should (will) add extra vitamins and cleaner nutrition for a successful post op for cosmetic surgery too. See the web sites and read as much as you can about this segment of your journey.

Tracy D.
on 6/19/15 9:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You want to wait at least a year until after you hit maintenance.  Why?  Because your body will absolutely shift and change in that first year of maintenance.  I've seen it happen with both me and my husband.  You may stay exactly the same weight but things will shift around and resettle.  Also, you'll probably get a lot more active and do more exercise in that first year of maintenance and will see some muscles tighten up and skin snapback.  

You want to wait for ALL of that to happen before you go rushing into plastic surgery.  Plus you want to make sure you're at a weight that you can easily maintain.  You don't want to be losing OR gaining more weight after plastics.  You'll ruin all that work!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jennifer K.
on 6/19/15 10:14 am - Phoenix , AZ

Each surgeon has different requirements. My original surgeon wanted you at goal weight, don't losing and have maintained for 6 months.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

proudauntie
on 6/19/15 11:10 pm - Honolulu, HI

Was able to an arm lift after 18 months but had to wait 2 years before surgeon would perform a tummy tuck.

JA
on 6/23/15 5:03 am - East Haven, CT

I waited five years before I had my TT and then had to have a revision 2 yrs later because the first surgeon made a mess.  The longer you wait the better the results.  Yes, your body shift about every three-four years...weight will remain the same but things move around.  Who knows why.  You can always lose more weight after PS as long as you exercise to keep the skin in good shape.  Not a good idea to gain, as it will go to odd places like where you DIDN'T have the surgery :(.

Good luck.

JA
RNY 7/21/2004 - 100 lbs forever

sor09
on 7/7/15 5:42 pm

Thanks for the information. I am personally on the fence about cosmetic surgery. Thinking about the extra scars... long lines of them, not so sure about it. I already got 2 C-section scars; only 5 inches, so I am managing with what I got. Not anti PS.

JA
on 7/8/15 2:30 am - East Haven, CT

Depending on the plastic surgeon, scars can be minimal.  I cannot even see my TT scar from four yrs ago.  Hopefully, my thighs will be the same at some point :).  I used the same surgeon.  Do your homework; they are NOT all good surgeons.  Talk to people who used them and ask your bariaric surgeon who they recommend.  Good luck.

JA

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/9/15 12:02 am

Scars can be caused by a bad surgeon BUT scars are also very dependent upon your genetic make up.  Your ethnicity and how you have scared in the past.  Don't always assume it was a bad surgeon.  Some people have hypertrophic scars and keloids.  A good surgeon, really can't do anything to prevent those problems.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active