Have my plastics scheduled! LBL, BL, & Arms

breathemusic
on 7/10/15 7:09 am

This is my first post on the plastics forum, though I have commented on a few other posts here.  I had the sleeve back in Feb last year and have been at my goal weight for several months now.  I consulted with 2 surgeons, Dr. Capella in NJ and Dr. Michaels in DC. Both were awesome, but I ended up scheduling with Dr. Michaels yesterday and putting down my deposit.  He was a tad more expensive (only because the hospital fees are more, not the surgical fees) but since I actually live in DC I decided that I like the idea of being local and not having to drive several hours and road trip back and forth while I'm recovering.  Plus, I really liked that Dr. Michaels seems to do a little more reconstruction on the butt during the LBL to make sure that you end up with a nice shape rather than a pancake butt, so I figured that was worth a little extra cost as well.

I was originally concerned that Dr. Capella does the technique that gives the "pie crust" look around the scar and Dr. Michaels doesn't.  I understand why it's done since it relieves tension on the scar, so I wondered if not having that would result in me having wider, more gnarly scars, but from talking to people as well as the surgeons, it seems to be more a matter of preference with technique and how a person scars seems to have more to do with their skin and genetics, so that relieved my one major worry with going to Dr. Michaels.

Well, my other original worry was that he usually doesn't do an arm lift with a LBL, but after talking to him about it he was willing to do it for me.  The main concern is mobility and people being able to care for themselves after the surgery, but I'll be able to stay with my mom in MD and she'll be off work during that time anyway, so I can basically have a dedicated nurse if I need regular help sitting up, standing up, etc.  He also said that from the feel of my stomach, I probably wouldn't need to have an extreme amount of stomach tightening done, just some, so that would make the recovery a little easier!

Anyway, my surgery is scheduled for Dec 17th since I wanted to combine it with time I always take off around the holidays anyway.  I'm def a bit nervous since I'm a wus with pain, but I'm sooooo excited to finally have a flat tummy!!  OMG, I can't get over it!

Thanks to those of you who have responded to my questions about doctors and cost and scars and all that stuff.  It definitely helped me know what questions to ask and what to expect!

emelar
on 7/10/15 8:04 am - TX

How exciting for you!  There are definitely part of the process that are no fun, but the results make it worthwhile.

Expect your mom to have to help a lot for the first week.  I was by myself after the LBL and I wouldn't have made it if my arms had been disabled as well.  You do a lot of pushing and pulling trying not to strain your core.

breathemusic
on 7/10/15 8:19 am

Oh I'm definitely dreading it... but I figured I'd rather be super uncomfortable for a a few weeks, than to have to break it up and still be pretty uncomfortable on more than one occasion, and have to take twice the vacation time from work, etc.

I've read a recommendation somewhere to get one of those urinal funnel type things for women, basically so you can pee standing up.  LOL.  The less I have to stand up and down those first few days, the better!

Tracy D.
on 7/16/15 8:10 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Very excited for you!  After having my LBL just a week ago, I will advise you to plan for the worst and hope for the best.  Since you're having both upper and lower work done, you'll absolutely need help with everything from getting up and down to wiping your tush.  Make sure you have dedicated help at least for the first 2-3 weeks.  

Wishing you all the best! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Nikke2003
on 7/21/15 7:56 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Congrats on scheduling! I had all of my work done with Dr. Capella and he was great... but I can understand the desire to be close to home! The pie crust incisions definitely look a bit crazy at first, but in 6-7 weeks it all flattens out. I should really post some updated pics!

This is an exciting time!!! :) I wish the best of luck to you.... if you have any questions, let us all know!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active