I'm sure I'll need a panni removal after I lose weight

E_Saenz
on 7/19/15 5:20 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm wondering I've heard horror stories with no belly button and flaps I already have a hanging panni and wonder if my ins approved it will I be butchered?  Or will I end up with a good outcome?

Elia Maria Saenz

Tracy D.
on 7/19/15 11:54 pm, edited 7/22/15 1:26 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

That's probably going to depend on who you go to.  My bariatric surgeons do panni removals but I wouldn't let those guys touch me with a 10-ft pole when it comes to something that a plastic surgeon should be doing.  They are general surgeons.  You want a board-certified plastic surgeon.  

Do your research, look at the before-and-afters of panni removal versus tummy tuck.  It'll probably worth it to you - even if insurance covers the panni removal - to save up and pay the difference to have a full tummy tuck.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/20/15 9:33 pm

Tracy is right, IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR SURGEON.

Some surgeons will charge an extra $3 or 4K and they will do a really pretty result.  Others will just do what the insurance covers and nothing more.  I have seen some very very bad results.  But I have also seen some that didn't look bad, but they also had a very open and honest conversation with their surgeons.  You can't be afraid to be very clear about what you want and what you will get.  Ask about the belly button, ask about the pull down and the mons pubis lift.  If they say they won't do these things, then ask how much extra they will charge to do it.  I have a friend who had a pannulectomy.  She trusted she would look good, she looks horrible.  Her mons hangs to just above her mid thigh and looks like a scrotal sac.  When she asked why he hadn't fixed it, he said, "you never asked me to"  - in my opinion that surgeon is unkind for not mentioning the fact that he would not do anything with the mons.  He left her looking really dysfigured.  Don't ever be afraid to ask very concise questions - be clear and be plain so that they know what you are expecting and so that you know you have accurate expectations. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

E_Saenz
on 7/20/15 10:54 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'll keep my sagging skin before I have a half a$$ job done I hope that I can find a surgeon that will do it right.

Elia Maria Saenz

E_Saenz
on 7/20/15 10:57 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I just visited an old friend from high school who had vgs done 2+ years ago and she had a tummy tuck mons lift and lower body lift it looks phenomenal maybe I'll ask who did her surgery.

Elia Maria Saenz

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/21/15 1:03 am

A good plastic surgeon can do amazing work on our formerly obese bodies.  I once weighed 513 lbs and I've had 9 skin removal procedures and I have 5 more to go.  My body looks better now than it did when I was in my 20's.  Find a good surgeon, save your money and get it done right the first time.  You're worth it.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Jennifer K.
on 8/27/15 11:16 am - Phoenix , AZ

My insurance doesn't cover any post-WLS reconstructive surgery. I had to pay OOP.

I had an excellent outcome and I still have a belly button :-) I did a lot of research on what surgeon to go with and chose one that was board certified, had a lot of previous experience with WLS patients as well as patient/friend referrals I could speak with.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active