TT recovery time

lessofme123
on 7/23/15 10:19 am

I just went for my first consult for a tummy tuck and breast lift.  The doctor said there is generally a two week recovery time to return to work.  I was really surprised at this.  I thought it would be longer.  My surgery is pencilled in for Dec 18, the Friday before Christmas break. (I'm a high school teacher.)  For those of you who have had these procedures, is it realistic to think I could return to work 16 days after surgery?  I could wait till summer vacation to do the surgery, but would love to do it over Christmas break if possible.

Jennifer K.
on 7/23/15 10:59 am - Phoenix , AZ

I had my TT the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, I took that week off then went back to work the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (very slow day) knowing I had the two days off after, plus the weekend. I was fine.

I will say I was hunched over quite some time, took weeks to get upright. I told people I had pulled something in my back!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Jennifer K.
on 7/23/15 10:59 am - Phoenix , AZ

The Tuesday the week before Thanksgiving to clarify.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

lessofme123
on 7/23/15 11:55 am

That's good to hear!  Did you have the muscle tightening as well?

Tracy D.
on 7/23/15 11:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I just had a lower body lift (full circumferential incision) with lipo and muscle repair on July 8th.  I'm going back to the office on Monday, which will be Day 19 post-op.  I have a desk job and feel more than ready.  If I'd only gotten the TT I would have already gone back to work.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

lessofme123
on 7/23/15 11:54 am

That is so good to hear, Tracy!  I was almost talking myself out of it already.  I'm tentatively scheduled for tummy tuck with lipo and muscle tightening, as well as a breast lift on Dec. 18.  I'll have to be back at work on Jan. 4.  

Kathy

Tracy D.
on 7/23/15 12:06 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The muscle tightening is what will kick your ass - seriously painful and I have a high pain threshold.  The TT will seem like nothing compared to it.  You may not be standing fully upright on Day 16 post-op (I'm still a little bent because of nerve pain in my upper thighs) but I'm betting you can get the job done. 

Just make sure that you have plenty of help around for the first 5 days post-op.  Between the lift and the TT you will need to be careful not to do too much.  Stretching your arms upward will be an issue!  Someone else will need to make Christmas dinner and do all the clean-up and putting away of the decorations this year 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Karen518
on 7/23/15 2:16 pm

I had my TT with muscle tightening, breast lift and brachioplasty on July 1.  I am also a teacher, but I teach special Ed preschool.  Even with what that entails, I think I could have gone back to work after two weeks.  My plastic surgeon requires two drains for three weeks for the TT, but they are manageable.  I am three weeks and a day out from surgery now and have to work to remember to be careful.  I feel great.  I took prescription pain mess for two days after surgery and regular Tylenol for a week.  Nothing since.  I have had almost no pain except the pain that came from the dry heaves I had for 18 hours after surgery from the anesthesia.  After RNY, this surgery was a breeze and I already love the results.  Good luck!

lessofme123
on 7/24/15 6:45 am

My husband is the voice of reason and has me convinced that the responsible thing to do would be to wait till June.  That way I won't have to worry about sub-par performance at work, possibly having to take more time off, and complications. I'm teaching AP calculus for the first time this year, and I really need to be able to devote my full attention to it. What's another 6 months in the grand scheme of things, right?  That would make it right at two years since my VSG surgery instead of 18 months, which is probably not a bad thing.  Waiting is hard to do though!  I want this saggy skin gone now!

Kathy

MissNexxie
on 7/24/15 6:50 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm 4 weeks out from TT/BL and would've probably been ok to return to my desk job after 3 weeks.  That said, you will have lifting restrictions that you must obey.  Mine was nothing more than 8 lbs for 3-4 weeks and no driving for 2 weeks (car doors are heavy).  If you get muscle tightening you must be super mindful of this.  plus you are healing a large incision.

Timewise you should be ok IF you focus completely on your recovery and laying low for those couple weeks.  No Christmas shopping, wrapping, meal prep, etc.  Lots of rest/naps even if you have company.  Your job is very stressful so you need this time to maximize your recovery. The less you do on that off time the further ahead you'll be when you get back to work.  The more you do during those critical first couple weeks the more you'll prolong full recovery. With it being the holidays can you commit to letting someone else take care of that stuff?   And, yes, you'll be hunched over and wearing a binder but it's not too bad to deal with.  Drains are not bad either.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active