Suture/Stitch Granuloma?

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/7/15 8:04 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Hi Everyone,

I had brachioplasty 6/12/15.  I am mostly healed but I now have a tiny suture granuloma (ingrown stitch) right beside my scar.  It's a very small (pimple size) bump right beside my scare and I can't believe how much that hard little bump hurts.  

I can't go back to my plastic surgeon because I moved from Miami, FL to Ohio a couple of weeks after my surgery after a job transfer (surgery was scheduled before I was aware I was getting transferred).  

I've read online that these eventually dissolve but that damn little bump is annoying the hell out of me!!

Thanks,

Sonja

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

MissNexxie
on 8/8/15 5:58 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I had BL at the end of June and have the same thing at the end of one incision. My doc, too, said it'll eventually get absorbed. Thankfully, I had no incision complications during recovery so I'm happy this is the worst I've had to deal with. Hang in there!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/8/15 7:15 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had an abscess and a staph infection and had to have to have a small part of my incision drained.  :(  Actually this little granuloma hurts worse than the abscess did.  It's been a long, drawn out recovery process for me.  I still have two tiny little spots that have a scab on them that aren't completely healed but I'm grateful I don't have any infection anymore.  

Is your granuloma super painful?

MissNexxie
on 8/8/15 7:24 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Mostly the pressure from the brastrap makes it throb. Otherwise, not really. My doc said the body will sometimes try to expel the stitch so that might also cause tenderness.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Laura in Texas
on 8/8/15 4:26 pm

I picked at mine with a needle and pulled them to the surface with tweezers then I cut those suckers off. I guess with your issues, you may not want to risk another infection. I hope you feel better soon!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/8/15 8:13 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I have seriously considered self surgery to remove this damn stitch. It hurts like hell!!

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/9/15 1:41 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Maybe your local doc or your in-house doc can pick it out?  Maybe even just an LPN?  If it hurts, I'd insist.

I had a staple left in after a C-Section and that ******* hurt worse than anything else.  

I'm sure you just want to be DONE.  Hope you get someone to help - I can't stand it when the "help" is to wait.  I'm impatient that way :)

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

KristieA
on 8/11/15 11:25 am - Orillia, Canada

I became a pro at taking those little suckers out.  Turns out I don't dissolve stitches.  Talk about a mess.  I had to eventually pick out close to 100 of them along my anchor TT incisions.  I am 7 months post op and found another one just a couple weeks back.

I too hate the 'wait' solution.  If you can get a local doc or nurse to do it probably best.  You don't want an infection.  They need to be as close to the surface as possible I found.  If you do attempt it, sterilize the needle/tweezers and be sure to apply some antibiotic ointment for a few days.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

KristieA
on 8/11/15 11:28 am - Orillia, Canada
Professor Sonja!!!!
on 8/12/15 5:14 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Well it turned out that little pimple looking bump is MRSA (I was already treated for one staph infection but they think it was MRSA all along).  Been on 2 antibiotics since Sunday night and the bump is almost gone.  That little bump was so hard I really, really thought it was a stitch.  

Most Active