Capsular contracture ..

chicana1
on 10/26/15 8:21 am
VSG on 11/25/13

I'm 3 months post op from arm lift, breast lift and augmentation. I've had my share of set backs, and now it's affecting my quality of life. 2 weeks post op the incision site from my axillas (armpits) opened and those are barely starting to close now. My major problem now is that my implants have developed capsular contracture grade 2-3 per PS and I believe my left implant is at a grade 4. My left implant never dropped to its pocket and sits way on the top near my collar bone and lodges in my armpit. The implant feels so hard and tight because of the hard tissue it has developed around it. I'm in excruciating pain now because it's affecting my posture , shoulders and neck. PS prescribed a medication called "Singular" to help soften the tissue around the capsule but it's not helping. I'm so desperate to just have the implants removed at this point cause I can't take the pain but PS wants me to wait a full 6 months. I'm afraid that if I wait that long my constant pain will become chronic and hard to fix later. I've been seeing a chiropractor who's been helping me deal with the tension but that's temporarily. Has anyone here dealt with a capsular contracture formation on their implants?

jeterway
on 10/26/15 9:57 am

You might want to look for some mastectomy sites - there is a much higher concentration of breast reconstruction patients there. There are also many mastectomy groups on facebook that you could probably become a member of.

chicana1
on 10/26/15 10:46 am, edited 10/26/15 3:47 am
VSG on 11/25/13

Thank you for the suggestion I'll look into that.

DrL
on 10/31/15 11:58 am - Houston, TX

Capsular contracture is probably the most common complication of breast implants, and can occur at any time after the implants are placed. The infection you experienced may have contributed to it forming. The condition unfortunately requires removal of the implants and scar tissue. Replacement with new implants can be done if you desire, although covering the implant with a material like BellaDerm or Strattice may be an option to reduce the risk of recurrence. Your symptoms and pain may make an earlier operation necessary, but discuss this with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Dr. L.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
chicana1
on 11/1/15 2:50 pm
VSG on 11/25/13

Thank you Dr L for your thorough explanation of a Capsular Contracture.

Most Active