Weight loss before LBL

katr1nka
on 11/3/15 8:32 am - Huntsville, AL

I had gastric bypass about 6 years ago, I've lost 111lbs total, but would like to lose about 39 more. I went to see a plastic surgeon a few months back to see how much weight I needed to lose, they said I was already at a good weight, so I proceeded to schedule my surgeries, I've already gotten my arms and breast lift done, but I still have my lower body lift, which is scheduled for next Wednesday.

In the process of researching this, I've seen a lot of posts stating that I needed to be at the weight I wanted to be at BEFORE the surgery, and under 30 BMI, my BMI will probably be 30 when I have the surgery.

Have any of you had the surgery before you reached your goal weight? If you lose the rest of the weight slowly (say 20 pounds in a year, or maybe 2 pounds a month), will you still end up with saggy skin?

I'm scared now and I'm just hoping someone can offer me some insight into what they did, especially if they were in the same situation as I am. It's a little too late for me to back out, I've already paid, I already have childcare figured out, and time off from work scheduled.

Also, any advice for what I should make sure I do before I have this surgery will be greatly appreciated. I've already rented the lift chair.

SLeevecity
on 11/3/15 2:06 pm

If you plan to eventually lose 20 additional pounds, why not wait to have the LBL. It seems that losing or gaining a decent amount of weight after LBL could effect the long term results. good luck

Needanewbeginning
on 11/4/15 5:31 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I know the consults I went to prior to my plastics all wanted me at my desired stable weight. Loosing ten lbs can make a difference and yes, can leave you with loose skin, of course it can.

I would not have any plastics until I was at my desired weight, but that's just me.

I am surprised your surgeon didn't advise you if that? 30 lbs less after plastics, that will alter not only your lbl but your other two you had done as well.

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Tracy D.
on 11/4/15 8:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You've paid in advance but there's no reason why your surgeon can't reschedule the surgery to a later date. And it could take you a good 6 months to get that 39 lbs. off so you could probably swing time off from work next year for it. Adn you can cancel the lift chair rental or reschedule it for the future too.

Do not have this surgery if you intend to lose another 39 lbs. You will sabotage your results. Either decide that you're within 10 lbs. of your "forever" weight....or get the weight off and then have the surgery.

And regardless of how you lose that extra 39 lbs. (fast or slow) you absolutely will have sagging skin left over.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Neesie57
on 11/4/15 7:39 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I have a little different take on this. My daughter had LBL in January, and her doctor told her that the surgery would actually look better if she lost about 10-15 after the surgery. He said the skin would drape better and everything would settle better.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

katr1nka
on 11/5/15 5:56 am - Huntsville, AL

Thank you Nessie!  Did she like her results after teh surgery?  How much more weight did she lose after?

Neesie57
on 11/7/15 10:19 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

She was not at her ideal BMI when she did the surgery, and is actually about 40 pounds above her ideal weight.  The doctor took off 16 pounds during the surgery, and she still hovers around that same weight.  She didn't lose the extra, but is still trying to get back on track.  She is almost 5 years post op, so knew that she wanted to have the surgery even though some people would have told her not to because she is still overweight.  Even at 200 pounds she has a flat stomach and rocks a 2 piece bathing suit.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

katr1nka
on 11/5/15 5:57 am - Huntsville, AL
katr1nka
on 11/5/15 6:05 am - Huntsville, AL
Tracy D.
on 11/5/15 7:24 am, edited 11/5/15 3:45 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

There's a really big difference between 10-15 lbs. and 40 lbs.  And if your daughter is younger her skin has more natural "bounce back" and is much more likely to contract a bit than someone who is significantly older. 

If the original poster is quite young (under 30) it could work.  If she's in her 40's or 50's...forget it.  Not going to be a good thing to lose that much weight after surgery.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active