Tummy tuck and arm lift compression garments

dohabarb
on 11/22/15 10:35 pm - Qatar

Hi everyone

I am booked in for a tummy tuck and brachioplasty in 3 weeks time. I live in the Middle East so I have to order compression garments online from the USA. I can't figure out what to buy, what are good brands as there seem to be so many different options out there. I am looking for some advice please on what you guys have found to work effectively!

Do I need something that just goes around my waist or kind of encase the whole lower body? Do I need to wear something on my arms? Fasten across the back or not?

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Going it alone in the Middle East!

jeterway
on 11/23/15 1:00 pm

I used garments from the marena group.  My PS directed me to their site via a booklet that they provided with the type of garments that I should be getting.  It really is up to the PS to tell you what they recommend as they are all different.  I didn't have an tummy tuck per se but rather a mastectomy with reconstruction from my abdomen - which they say is 90% of a tummy tuck.  I had an abdominal garment that had a hook and eye closure in the crotch - it started right below my breast and had a zipper on the side.  For my arm lift, I had something that fit like a midriff jacket - full sleeves - hooked in the front.  Some docs provide the garments some want you to get them on your own.  Good luck with your surgery.

dohabarb
on 11/23/15 11:41 pm - Qatar

Thank you for your answer. I will not see my PS again until the morning of my surgery and I cannot contact him at all in the mean time. When I had my gastric bypass I was literally called up out of the blue one morning and told to report to the hospital as they would operate on me the next day. Things are a little bit wacky in Qatar lol! So I am not sure what I will be given at the hospital - its safer that I order some stuff online before the surgery.

jeterway
on 11/24/15 6:10 am

Then I would recommend ordering something and taking it with you.  Don't open it until you determine if you need it - you can always send it back.  If you want, I can check out the website and point out the exact ones that I ordered although my description should give you a good idea.

dohabarb
on 11/24/15 7:12 am - Qatar

That's a good idea! I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what you used! I had a look at the website and there is a lot to choose from. Thank you for your kindness!

jeterway
on 11/24/15 7:31 am

I believe I used gfvm 3/4 length sleeve vest - although I thought mine were full sleeves.  Perhaps they just seemed longer - but I wanted the longest I could get so I didn't swell below where they were cutting.  I actually wore a thin long sleeved tshirt under this garment as the elastic was tight and a bit scratchy.  For the tummy tuck I think lga  - panty length girdle - is the one that I used.  I bought two of each so that I had something to wear while one was getting laundered.  They do ship pretty quickly at least to the US.  Depending on how quickly you get things ordered from here you might just want to get one and see if the PS wants you to wear it or not.  Some surgeons don't require compression garments so make sure you follow whatever protocol he/she uses.  Getting them on is a challenge those first couple of days but it does get easier the further out you are.  I felt pretty comfortable in these.  I felt secure that these prevented incisions from getting strained as I moved around.  I had to wear these for about a month full time and then only at night for the next month I think. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/15 2:20 pm

If your plastic surgeon does not supply these, then you can find abdomen/tummy slimming garments on the internet. You could use just ace wraps for your arms but I don't like them that much for it causes some uneven compression. Make sure that you do use ScaRxTape over your scars starting about two weeks when steris come off and for two to three months. Change only about every week or as necessary. Good luck!

dohabarb
on 12/4/15 10:38 pm - Qatar

Thank you so much for your reply. I have ordered tummy and arms compression garments from Isavela in the US. I will see if I can order that ScaRx tape online too.

Most Active