Tummy Tuck or LBL Pre-Pregnancy?

FuturePinUp
on 11/23/15 12:01 pm

Hello all,

As I am losing more and more steadily, it is becoming quite clear to me that I will need to/want to have a tummy tuck or lower body lift. I am already starting to have a saggy stomach, and can imagine it getting much worse, since I still have a ways to goal.

My question for you veterans is this: Does it make any sense to try and pursue these surgeries prior to attempting to have a child? I am 32 years old, and my husband and I are considering trying to start a family prior to me turning 34-35. Ideally, I'd like to undergo a TT or LBL before having a child for the following reasons:

1) Money. I know it will be hard to justify spending so much on myself when I have a child to care for, save money for, etc.

2) Travel/Confidence. Prior to trying to start a family, my husband and I plan on traveling a lot and I'd really like to have a better body for beach trips, etc.

3) Risk. This may be a morbid one but the thought of any surgery greatly freaks me out and I wouldn't put it past myself to "chicken out" from getting a procedure done once I have a small child to consider, and it's not just about me and hubby anymore. 

4) Recovery. If I DO opt for plastics post-birth, I worry about not being able to get it done for a long time, being that I will be "out of commission" for a long time, when caring for a small child who's constantly running around, as to be carried, etc. 

I know ultimately that this is a conversation I need to have with my surgeon, but my Bariatric clinic already mentioned a panni to me, with insurance + out-of-pocket extras for the TT, so it's gotten me thinking. Secondly, I follow a lot of post-bariatric YouTubbers and bloggers, and a lot of these girls already had their plastic surgery and are in their early 20s. They mention that their surgeons are aware of their eventual possible pregnancy and it does not hinder anything but I don't know...

So I guess I am just curious if anyone here has gotten pregnant post TT or LBL? Is it unheard of to do? Or is it something I should really want to wait on? Any information/advice is appreciated!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

emelar
on 11/23/15 12:10 pm - TX

I'd have child first and deal with tummy tuck later.  Pregnancy is going to undo a lot of the work that the tummy tuck fixes, particularly muscle separation.  So, if you do it now and then immediately get pregnant, you won't have time to enjoy your new body for long, and you're likely to end up close to where you started. 

FuturePinUp
on 11/23/15 12:22 pm

Thank you. I have read testimonials that mention tightening isn't as restrictive for women of childbearing age, and that even if pregnancy does happen after, the skin bounces back a lot easier, but what you write was pretty much my impression also! :)

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Nikke2003
on 11/24/15 10:13 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm 30 and have had two rounds of plastic surgery. I considered waiting until after having kids - but only for a split second. The fact of the matter is, I know I'm not going to have all kinds of extra money to spend on myself after having a child. And even if I did, I would feel guilty spending it on myself when I felt it could be used for "better" purposes. HOWEVER, that was something I know about myself.

Also, I was worried about the recovery if I had kids. That would be tough.

My surgeon showed me the "after" LBL picture of a woman... then what she looked like after having a child. Looks the same. He said she gained the appropriate amount of weight while pregnant and took care of herself. I chose to go ahead with it. But, it's a decision everyone has to make for themselves!

Let me know if you have any questions. I have had it ALL done lol!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

FuturePinUp
on 11/24/15 10:39 am

Thank you so much for the response! Your thought process about not waiting is exactly what I'm thinking for myself. I know myself and it was bad enough me being okay with getting bariatric surgery to begin with, because I always considering it "elective" and "not worth the risk."  I can only imagine that line of thought multiplying, in regards to plastics, once a child is in the picture. Basically, I feel like if I don't do it prior to pregnancy, then either I won't do it at all, or will have to wait until my hypothetical future child is like, done with college. 

To be honest, I do think that even after an LBL, if I were to get pregnant, there's really no way I could go back to my pre-op body. Like, even if I do have some looseness of skin and more stretchmarks, I would be OK with that, since I never plan on living an unhealthy life again - through pregnancy or not, and will never have it look as bad as it currently does, with my hanging panni.

I have seen your wonderful results and am actually going to be reaching out to Dr. Capella once I am at goal, since I'm in NYC! My surgeon is also documenting panni rashes in order to hopefully get some of the cost covered by my insurance.

Nikke2003
on 11/24/15 2:52 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I felt the same way. I also felt like I didn't know when I would want to have kids and so I didn't want to live for years incredibly unhappy in my body waiting for something that may or may not happen.

I can't say enough great things about Dr. C and his PA, Scott. I highly recommend them!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/2/15 8:24 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My intuitive response was to wait, but I have not gone through it.  I think I would rely on the plastic surgeon's recommendation.  Glad yours came out so good.

Sharon

Most Active