Dr. Capella or Dr. Taub?

ICG63
on 11/21/15 2:37 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

In Dec. 2014 I had an abdominoplasty and hernia repair with Dr. Taub who is in a practice at Mt. Sinai affiliated with the surgeon who performed my WLS revision in 2013. I'm scheduled for surgery on Dec 10 with Dr. Taub, to fix the dog ears that resulted from the TT and a brachioplasty, but after researching and consulting with Dr. Capella, I'm leaning toward his proposal which is radical, but would address ALL of my issues at once and at a more reasonable cost. Not that cost is the driving concern, I want to do what is best, but I am leaning hard toward Capella. Does anyone have info and/or opinions on either surgeon? Thanks!

I posted more about my story today with pictures in the "about me" section.

Laura in Texas
on 11/21/15 2:45 pm

If I were in your area, I would use Capella in a heartbeat. I have seen before/afters from people here and they all look fabulous. I have not heard anything negative about him.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 11/21/15 2:58 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking, but feeling like I need to find out all I can. It almost seems too good to be true! He is proposing doing so much at one time and it all makes sense with his explanation and reputation, but it feels so radical.

grayC
on 11/22/15 7:12 am
VSG on 05/01/13

HI....

im a little over 2 weeks out from a LBL, BL and arm lift

with Dr Capella I have nothing but raves about him...

talented, easy going, kind and compassionate but most of all

talented beyond belief..and I'm saying this even though I feel like a 

patchwork quilt at the moment..I have a feeling your pondering the same

procedures as I've had..I did it all at once b/c I figured ..hey I'm in pain, 

might as well be all at once and not drag it out..plus I wasn't sure I'd do it again

after the first time...good luck with your decision, I hope this has helped.

ICG63
on 11/22/15 10:12 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Thank you so much for responding! I'm so glad you are doing well and feeling positive only 2 weeks out from such an intense surgery! I am contemplating doing the same thing--exactly! I too feel that I want to do it all at once because it will be difficult, but one big difficult instead of spread out! How do you sleep--in a chair or in bed? I'm contemplating (if I do this) getting a recliner. I imagine getting out of bed would be particularly difficult? Did it take 6 hours? I cannot imagine doing all that in 6 hours--which is what he said it would take. I'd love to ask you more questions if you're up for it?  Thanks again and best of luck for a continued positive recovery :-)

grayC
on 11/22/15 2:09 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Yup took 6 hrs on the dot...

i slept in my bed, with a angled pillow and many other pillows propping me..

i could not do much of anything for myself the first week, but I have to say after 

4 days I was no longer on any pain meds and felt I was getting better fastly after that..

A recliner may be a very good idea as I was stuck on my bac****il 3 days ago, although

Dr C said I could sleep on my sides as soon as I felt comfortable,

for me that didn't happen until 3 days ago.

i you tubed and google searched until I read everything,

but in the end, it comes down to faith in your Dr and yourself.. 

ICG63
on 11/22/15 2:26 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks. I'm so scared, but hopeful. You look amazing (just checked out your pics etc). How are the incisions healing? Is it difficult to keep it dry under your arms? Any techniques for dealing with drains, gauze etc..?

Thanks for all!

grayC
on 11/22/15 3:39 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

I am still using gauze under my arms although when I saw Dr C last week he said I no longer needed to

that I was past the point of wounds opening, I feel I still need them (maybe another week or so)

for me not a biggie since I have a ton of gauze and it's winter so, I'm wearing long sleeves anyway...

I think if you have your plastics in the spring/summer it's worse for arms b/c of much more sweating.

the arm insisions are the worst for me, I feel like a linebacker and that there are

golf balls under my arm pits

you would think the waist insisions would be the worst but other than the ITCHING (which comes and goes) and the tightness it's not bad..looks bad, but I am healing well...

UGGG! don't even get me started on the drains 5 of them! 

Nessary yes, but I honestly didn't feel up to anything with them in..after the 1st week I had 3 removed and felt much more human and on Thursday I had the remaining 2 removed and I felt free!!

Dr C is also not big on gauzing the insisions ( other than arms) or compression garments, which I kept on up until Friday, because I felt more "together" but I haven't worn it since then and to tell the truth, I feel I move much better and I definitely sleep better without it. 

ICG63
on 11/22/15 5:46 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks! Your responses are so helpful! Did you take a shower in the first week? Can you lift your arms? How soon were you able to? Your healing process sounds great! It is amazing the waist incisions aren't the most difficult! It seems so crazy that he can do that all the way around, and we don't come apart!  Amazing! Thanks again and continued good health :-)

grayC
on 11/22/15 7:43 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Dr C allows you to take a shower 2 days after surgery..

that being said, it took all my energy just to stand there while my hubby washed me..

i can pretty much lift my arms 3/4 of the way, although I try not to because of healing, 

i don't want to break the insisions line, I took everything very slowly the first week this week 

Im moving a little more...it's a 6 week healing process, ( actually 8 week since I also had muscle repair)

so even though I feel very good I try to keep that in mind... Arms are by far the most annoying to me

if you think about it, we move our arms constantly, whereas our core stays fairly immobile..

Most Active