Skin removal after WLS, Medicaid, Help!

Lil2Giving
on 1/10/16 4:59 pm
Lap Band on 08/13/12

I am a single mother of two. We are low income so I qualified for Medicaid. In 2012 I paid for all the pre-op requirements and was able to have Lap-Band surgery. I went from almost 300 lbs. to 130 lbs. and am only about 5'3. No matter how hard I try I can't tighten any of the loose skin that is now on most parts of my body.

My self image has taken a terrible turn which has lead to a nasty case of anxiety and depression. I want to be comfortable in my own skin but I can't even see "me" through it! If there was a way I would have skin removal surgery tomorrow! Does anyone know if Medicaid would cover this surgery? Is there any organizations that make donations on occasion? I know this is a long shot, but my kids deserve to have a mother that loves who she is inside and out, so here I am looking for help. We live in North Alabama so anyone nearby that knows where I can receive assistance please speak up, thank you!

Laura in Texas
on 1/10/16 5:39 pm

Did you contact Medicaid to see if reconstructive surgery is covered? I know nothing about Medicaid but I do believe UAB has a residency plastic surgery program. It is usually a fraction of the cost. Get a second job, sell things, cut non-essentials, do whatever it takes. I am also a single mom of two and managed to get it done. You can, too.

http://www.uab.edu/medicine/surgery/plastic

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active