How many consults before you chose a surgeon?

MsPudge
on 1/26/16 3:02 pm

I'm a year out from getting sleeved and looking for a good PS; I've met with one and I really liked him, although there's a bit of a deadline as he's retiring later this year. The other consults I was able to schedule are weeks away, and I was able to get a March 9 surgery date with the first guy if I want it (had a cancellation and as my mom had hand surgery from him they squeezed me in). Am I crazy to go with this guy if I like him, even if I haven't had any other consults?

How many doctors did you see before you chose one?

NYMom222
on 1/26/16 7:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I met with 5 to make my decision. 3 were PS who specialize in people who have had massive weight loss, 2 were local to me. They were all good it seemed, the 2 local ones were the heads of PS for their hospitals...so not slouches...but guess I decided I wanted to go with someone who this was their specialty. If you scroll back over the past 2 months on this forum you can see my posts on making my decision.

Did you see pics of people he did that looked like you? I did learn a lot by having multiple consultations, everybody has a little different take on it and what they focus on.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

grayC
on 1/28/16 2:23 pm, edited 1/28/16 6:23 am
VSG on 05/01/13

I met with 1.. That's it...

Nikke used him and had glowing things to say about him 

and her results are FABULOUS!!!

he is well respected in his field and I researched the hell

out of him..

in the end its how YOU feel, if you click with him or not...

do your do diligence...but don't over think it. 

cindimorgan
on 2/1/16 3:14 pm

I  met with 3 different surgeon before i decided to have tummy tuck surgery. And my friend recommend Dr. Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda who done her tummy tuck surgery in Mexico. He is very professional on his field and very kind. you can check his profile and search it on placidway.

AZDee
on 2/4/16 12:44 pm - Gilbert, AZ

I went to about 7 consultations and still didn't make the best decision for me personally...I got one sided on something and totally missed other important matters.  I was so freaked out by many of the outcomes I had seen I put too much emphasis on the sewing and cutting and not on the actual procedure.  I went with a person who was known for his impeccable cutting and sewing, and my scars do look amazing you can't really even see them, but the pull, the technique used was not the best and then when it came to surgery time, my surgeon was not comfortable giving me any liposuction due to the fact I am over fifty, so that was a big let down....Please do your homework and even if you just do a online phone consultation at least do that with one or two other surgeons.  In fact it's very rare to find a surgeon who specializes in post weight loss patients, most people have to travel out of state.  That is a very important thing to discuss, just how many WLS patients he has dealt with, as it's a whole different ball game.  You don't want to end up with ends that don't match up leading to what is known as dog ears budges at the end of the cut line.  If a surgeon is not well versed this is something that happens a lot...Here is a good person to talk with, he will be able to answer any questions you may have and even give you things to consider that you may not have thought of.   I wish he had done my surgery, but he has answered a lot of questions for me.  His name is Dr. Peter Fisher of San Antonio, TX www.peterfishermd.com   

Most Active