LBL - Dr. Capella on 6/27

Cindy Cooney
on 5/6/16 9:49 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

I finally booked my surgery with Dr. Capella.  The last day of school is June 28 so I am just taking 1.5 days off and I have the summer to recover.  I will have the additional surgeries:  breast, arms and thighs later.  I have a feeling this will be life changing.  I have never been in a bathing suit and comfortable, but I have a feeling that one day I just might.

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

NYMom222
on 5/7/16 1:32 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

How exciting. I just had my LBL  on 2/29 with Dr. Michaels in DC area. It is life changing...the change is so dramatic, takes a little time to put your head around. I had a consult with Dr. Capella also, I am sure you will do great.

I am recovering from part 2 breasts and arms....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

libra1
on 5/10/16 8:15 am, edited 5/10/16 1:18 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

NYMom: Congratulations! Hope all is well with your recovery.

I had my extended TT mid April and will be having breast lift and arms in June.

How are you finding recovery? Any tips?

NYMom222
on 5/10/16 2:35 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

As far as tips, ...after the first couple of days of "oh yeah SH** I just had surgery.... my arm incisions didn't bother me just really my underarms and I had suture lines between my under and breast that rubbed against each other....and irritated each other....don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, because the bra I got isn't soft materiel, is I put a soft cotton camisole on and then the bra on top. Much better. Also I used small non stick guaze pads over my nipples, no tape needed, just for little spots of blood and again to protect them from irritation. I also put soft guaze under the bottom edge of the bra as well the first week because there is an incision line there. If I used the camisole sooner wouldn't have needed that. Day 9 today and definitely had a lot more energy today. Although I was up and about in small doses the day after surgery. My hardest time the first few days was when the pain meds would wear off overnight and I would wake up like AHhhh! My girlfriend who was helping me was very good at staggering the meds and tylenol, so I was taking something every couple of hours.

They tell you can gain water weight from the trauma and the IV fluid...First surgery it was like 3-4lbs no biggie. This time I stayed in DC only 2 days after surgery so I didn't bring my scale...I peed like crazy the first 2 days, so I figured it wouldn't be bad. Got home weighed myself the next morning and I was up 10lbs. Yikes! That messed with my bariatric brain. It came off in 4 days...but it still makes you nervous.

Overall this is an easier recovery, remember to take time to just relax and elevate your arms...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

libra1
on 5/11/16 6:40 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Thank you for your wonderful tips!

I'm so happy to hear how well you're doing. I totally agree with your "bariatric brain" comment.

Take care.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 5/24/16 7:27 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

My tips:

If you have any cream in tubes to apply, save an empty tube so you will have a spare cap in case you lose one later on. (The caps are like jumping beans.)

I bought 10 small white hand towels - I could roll them up and place them like little pillows where I needed them and use them to dry with after showering - 2 or 3 were easier to handle that a big towel.  Then washed them with bleach.

Good luck

Sharon

libra1
on 5/10/16 8:18 am, edited 5/10/16 1:17 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Cindy: Amazing! Not too long now.

All the best on your upcoming surgery.

Cindy Cooney
on 6/9/16 12:04 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Thank you.

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

Cindy Cooney
on 5/16/16 9:49 pm - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Thank you.  There are so many things going on at school I just want to get June over with.  I told my principal last night that I would not be here the last couple of days.  I am excited to finally get this done and I would have liked to have done the breast lift and brachioplasty at the same time, but the next surgery date for the 6 hour procedure was in late July and that would not allow me enough time to recover.  

The best part of this surgery is finally seeing all the hard work that I put in the gym paying off.  The loose skin is almost as bad as being obese.  The thought of not buying powder anymore or dealing with the rashes will be great.

Cindy

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

ICG63
on 5/18/16 2:09 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Hi Cindy,

I've posted a lot here, including pictures. I had LBL, breast, and arms done with Dr. Capella on Jan 25th 2016.

I'm already forgetting the beginning, the feelings etc.. so if you're interested, take a look at my posts. As a way of summarizing, I am so happy I did the surgery. Dr. Capella's team is great, on top of things, responsive and caring, and the hospital treatment was also very good. (I've had a number of surgeries and understaffed nursing is usually a challenge.) Everyone was very kind and competent. This means a lot when you are at your most vulnerable. My pain was definitely well in control. 

The only negative for me (and maybe it isn't even related to this, could just be coincidence), is that some areas, particularly the back side of the LBL look pretty rough and have from the beginning. I have confidence that Dr. C will make it right when the time comes, but I believe some of my stitching wasn't up to the usual standard. On the morning of my surgery Dr. C's assistant was out sick. I found out later that after 8 years of never missing a day, Scott missed that day. I assume it was a challenge to work with a resident, or for Dr. C to do it all himself in the speedy pace he is accustomed to. My surgery took 7 hours. I know that openings can happen, I think 30% if I remember correctly was the number Dr. C said might have this occur. 

All that said, I'm so happy with the outcome, and look forward to being completely healed. It is really life changing! All the best to you!

Most Active