tummy tuck and breast lift next month!

lessofme123
on 5/14/16 4:38 am

It's getting close!  My surgery is scheduled for June 20!  Question for those of you who have had this done...how long will I be miserable?  Should I expect to be able to go on vacation by the first week of August?  I've heard that this is a pretty painful recovery.  

Leslie W.
on 5/14/16 6:31 am - Cobourg, Canada

Breast lift I did not find bad. More just surgicl incision pain for a few dayys. I had a fleur de lys tt which had veritical and horizontal incision. The musscle work is what caused the more pain. I had a few areas that weree stubborn in healing and seroma. Just wear your compression garment. Not sure where you are going but plan on stopping frequently and move around. I had 3 weeks of signicant pain.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
NYMom222
on 5/15/16 6:17 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

For me I would have absolutely gone on vacation in 6-7 weeks. I went cross country to my nephews wedding in 2 1/2 weeks, but that was crazy....

The worst pain was the first couple of days, and the first week was a blur. Meltdown Day 10...The biggest PITA was the drains. not that they hurt or anything, it was just the upkeep, the compression garment, showering...it was all exhausting. My Doc used 2 drains and they came out on days 10 and 16. Some Docs use more drains. Once the drains were out, I began to feel normal again. I used Dr. Joseph Michaels in DC Area, and he says he takes the drains out, no matter what at 3 weeks. Some Docs will keep them in longer.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cindimorgan
on 5/17/16 10:25 pm

4 1/2 weeks should be okay to enjoy your vacation, especially given the amount of activity you described. Certainly, your surgeon will also make decisions along with you (depending on your recovery) with regards to exactly what is recommended and whether things like snorkeling are a good idea.

Brendalp1966
on 5/18/16 11:14 am

Congrats to you for scheduling your TT and BL. I had the same surgery on April 28th and I would have to say the first 3 to 4 days were the hardest. I had two drains in breasts and two in the tummy. The breast drains came at at 5 days and 1 from the tummy at 8 days. The last one was removed at 2 weeks and life was better after they were out. I also had muscle tightening, which was painful as well. I had great pain management. I was given "oxy", which I used faithfully for 4 days and then started to cut back. I am only on Tylenol now.

Now, I am 3 weeks post-op and look back over my recovery and think, I would still do it over again to have the skin gone! Everyone has a different pain tolerance so keep that in mine. I will go back to work on the 23rd, which I am lucky to work at a place where that was not an issue. 

I think you would be fine to go on vacation the first week of August. I wouldn't want to walk a whole lot and rest as much as you can in between activities. 

Good Luck and try not to stress to much! 

ICG63
on 5/21/16 9:22 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Good luck! I had a TT with hernia repair in 2013(?) and Jan 25 2016, had a LBL, breast lift, and arms done. I posted a lot about all of it if you're interested take a look. All the best!

valdalander
on 5/29/16 10:58 pm

Good luck with your surgery!! I have no personal experience with any kind of plastic surgery but one of my friends had undergone tummy tuck surgery last week from a clinic in Mississauga. She is asked to take rest for 2 weeks of post-op. She is having swelling and bruising and her surgeon Dr. McLean told it takes some time to heal. He asked her to take off from the work for 1 week.

I think you should ask your surgeon regarding your vacation. I have heard some surgeons don't encourage flying or traveling to a long distance soon after the surgery as they are very much concerned about the risk of blood clots in legs which can break off and even result in death. So it's better to wait for some time before going for the vacation. It's just my opinion, you could ask your surgeon about it :)

Most Active