Any recommendations for Ontario Ohip Plastic Surgeon?

Crispy
on 5/18/16 6:58 pm - Canada

I am within a few pounds of my goal but have a great deal of excess skin. Because I have a severe spinal injury resulting in ongoing pain I am reasonably sure I can get approval for a panectomy.  However the PS that my doctor wanted to send me to has an almost 2 year waiting period just for an appointment! Is that usual???  Does anyone know of any surgeons that work with OHIP that have a more reasonable wait time? I don't care if I have to drive- I am in the Belleville/ Kingston area but as I said, I will go anywhere.

Leslie W.
on 5/19/16 7:54 am - Cobourg, Canada

I use Dr. Nandagopal in Scarborough. He does his OHIP procedures at Scarborough General and does self pay at his clinic USculpt in Vaughan. He works with OHIP and the wls patients which is important as our skin heals differently. I you ask your GP to send in referral free consults. 

You can do pure panni, upgrade to TT. Now he is doing more belts which covers panni, TT, sides, back, butt, outer thighs. It costs more than just TT but depending where your skin is it maybe worth looking at. Will save in the long run.

I have had multiple skin removal procedures by him and am really pleased.

His weight time for panni is not long as he had extra OR time at the hospital. What takes time is waiting for OHIP approval which can take about 6 weeks or more.

Let me know if I can help

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Crispy
on 5/19/16 8:58 am - Canada

You are an angel- thank you! I have his information and will get a referral from my doctor. My WLS was at Toronto East and Scarborough is not far to drive at all. I am glad that you have been pleased with your results. I would never want to go to a surgeon blind- not knowing anyone who has used them. I knew the OHIP approval would take awhile and 6 weeks is not long when compared with waiting almost 2 yrs for a plastic surgeon in Kingston. Does he do breast reduction as well? Most people I have talked to say it is almost impossible to get approval for a panni but if I have a verifiable medical reason for removal do you think that doctor could get it approved? Obviously there are some that are getting approval!

Leslie W.
on 5/19/16 2:07 pm - Cobourg, Canada

I had about 3 inch overhang. Self treated for rashes. Had a letter from my gp that was about to lines that went in with OHIP request. Think some who get refused go to ps who doesn't work with OHIP. Panni are not big money makers for them. Dr. Nanda has a great approval rate as he works with so many wls patients. I did not think I would get approved but I did. Definetly if you have problems, take pictures, bring them with you. See your gp if you are having issues. Documented visits certainly will help.

Yes he does reductions. Had one down in Oct 2015. He does everything

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Crispy
on 5/19/16 5:43 pm - Canada

Do you know how big your cup size has to be to be considered? I am still a D cup after losing all my weight - it is exacerbating my back issues. I guess I will ask my Dr. to send in a consult for both pani and breast reduction.  

Leslie W.
on 5/19/16 6:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

I don't think cup size matters. Think it is more to do what is hanging, symptoms such as pain, skin issues.

My Angel is Sheri TK   
Crispy
on 5/19/16 8:20 pm - Canada

If it were just about "what is hanging" (lol) wouldn't that be a breast lift? I was under the impression that it was only covered if you are still large chested after weight loss and it is causing problems. I mean I AM hanging but there's a D cup worth of me hanging... ugh

Leslie W.
on 5/20/16 6:31 am - Cobourg, Canada

Sorry just reread my answer, had lift not reduction. For reduction i believe there has to be tissue. Once you get your referral for panni you can ask surgeon anything. Only reason you need referral is some charge for consult others don't

My Angel is Sheri TK   
Alishac313
on 10/3/17 6:30 pm

I know this is a very old thread but could you tell me Approximately how much time it took once your GP faxed your referral?

I just recently had my GP fax Dr Nandagopal and I wanted to know a general timeline for all the steps.

Thank you!

Leslie W.
on 10/3/17 8:29 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You can call his office at USculpt. Just tell them a referral was sent in. Referral is free anyway. They are pretty quick. First you'll see Dr. YUSEF. He will review what you want and their recommendations etc.... let me know of you have any questions.

My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active