Brachioplasty possible with no lymph nodes?

mute
on 5/24/16 12:08 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I very badly want to have an arm lift done at some point next year. It would be the only PS I'm considering actually.

Due to a mastectomy 9 years ago I have no lymph nodes in my right armpit (or wherever they take them from lol). I have had no lymphedema complications in that time and during that time I have had extensive surgeries and many hospital stays. I've had some trauma to that arm including IVs and needle sticks  when it was absolutely necessary although I protect it 99% of the time just to be safe.

I know I would need to have a PS consult to get a full answer but I've been obsessed with the idea of if I should even be trying to save for this surgery or not. The research I've done on my own has kind of shown that it's up to the patient as the risk is lymphedema. Does anyone have any knowledge on this at all?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

DrL
on 5/24/16 1:36 pm - Houston, TX

Hi. I have not operated on anybody with prior mastectomy and lymph node removal, although I have done many arm lifts over the years and have not ever caused lymphedema.  

My question would be if you had a full axillary node dissection vs. a sentinal node biopsy where they leave nodes behind.  

With no edema now, I would be encouraged that an arm lift could be done conservatively to rid you of excess skin and minimize the risk of swelling.

Hope this helps.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
mute
on 5/24/16 7:34 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

That was helpful, thanks for responding. I had the full axillary mode dissection done and had a total of 16 nodes removed from that arm. And not one issue since in any way in regards to lymph nodes/lymphedema 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active