5 month update since Jan 25 2016 surgery with Dr. Capella

ICG63
on 6/24/16 10:33 pm, edited 6/24/16 10:59 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

I just saw Dr. Capella at 5 months instead of waiting for the usual 6 month check up because of a lump in my breast. He thinks it is probably scarring. He wanted me to get a mammogram first before doing anything else--so will do that Monday.

I figured I should take some pictures at this point, so here they are. I'm surprised at how red all scars are. He doesn't seem concerned, and I'm trying to just go with the flow because I'm having a good summer, am busy, and swim suits cover all my scars. On the belly scars, I use strong sunscreen. Despite their being ugly, I am just looking forward to fading eventually. After a year (in 7 months), I'll be fixing them if I still think necessary. I'm also kinda bummed about my middle section being so straight with no waist. I could definitely lose more weight, but that is not happening easily. I'm playing tennis, kayaking and doing planks, but could definitely be more active to sculpt the body I have now. Eating too much is a challenge late at night. Still battling demons! I do weigh myself once a week to check in. I want to maintain 165- 170 and do but have to really watch it. Also my belly puffs out unless I consciously use my abdominal muscles and pull in... Self image is so much better, but it's a lot to find total acceptance when there could be so much more to do. I know that finding acceptance where I am now will be a big key in long term well being. Trying to focus on gratitude for all I've been able to do.

I'm also working on creativity and facing fears. I just did a "story slam" which meant getting up in front of a packed room of people without notes and telling a 5 minute long personal story. It was intensely scary but I lived through it. I have no sense of how I appear to others, but challenging myself this way is really great for my confidence!

PS Still trying to sort out picture upload. This is not an easy site to upload to!! Just made a 5 month after Dr. Capella surgery album. I think.

Laura in Texas
on 6/25/16 5:59 am

I think your results look great. The scars will continue to fade. Did you have the fleur-de-lis or was that an old scar? My middle section is straight, too, but I realize it was because he pulls everything down in a lbl. Had I had the fleur-de-lis, I would have more of a waist. Ce la vie.

I wish you well in your quest to find total self-acceptance. I am now 4 years out from my lbl/bl. It took me a while, but I'd say I am finally there. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 6/26/16 5:35 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks Laura in Texas,

I'm so glad you have really come to the point of self acceptance. You really look great and all your numbers seem so perfect, so it is definitely earned! Job well done! 

The way Dr. Capella explained it, it is as if the skin in the middle section is stretched tight initially, and then will settle on whatever your bone structure/frame is, which is where the waist would come back again. I think you have a definite waistline! In my case, I  could still lose weight, and then that would happen more. I'm just trying to settle at a place that is realistic for me long term. I think I'd do a real number on myself if I got to 130-140 and then couldn't maintain it... In any event, it would be smart for me to work on maintaining and seeing what I can do to further tone with exercise. Maybe in a year's time I could take the weight down further?

Just don't want to set myself up for failure. It's a sensitive topic with my track record!

In 2014 I did have a fleur de lis TT because I had an abdominal hernia too, so that vertical incision had to happen anyway. It would have been great if he ( a different doc) pulled in my waist then, but that didn't happen..., so when in 2016(Jan.) Dr. Capella (revised/fixed my dog ears) did the body lift, arms and breasts, he didn't tighten in the vertical line again. The only new scar there is from the repositioning of the belly button.

Who knows how I'll feel about my shape in 6 months or a year. It would be nice to be done with surgery and having to care for new scars!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/25/16 6:49 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I remember when you had it done - looks like you're coming along just fine.  Congrats on taking that big step.

Sharon

grayC
on 6/26/16 2:58 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

You're looking AWESOME!!!

I'll  be thinking good thoughts for you regarding your breast,

but I think it's scar tissue too...

Im so happy you posted this, I am also happy but not happy

with my waist also, I feel boxy, and kinda shapeless..

some days I'm happy, some days not...

Im also having trouble controlling my diet/weight..

Im great Monday-Thursday maybe Friday..

then all hell breaks loose..

my real trouble started when I stopped cross-fit..

I KNOW I NEED to get back to working out,

I stopped because of an injury I sustained, and still suffer from (although, not as bad)

its motivation I lack...

I keep loosing and gaining back the same 10lbs..

it gets very frustrating...

ICG63
on 6/26/16 5:21 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks grayC,

It sure is a rollercoaster! I think because I struggled my whole life with my weight, my self esteem and my motivation to exercise, I am so quick to think it's all going to come crashing down! So much of this is the mental stuff. 

I am doing so much better than before and so much more comfortable in my body, but sometimes in my mind I feel like my "old" self and that's frightening!It's hard to get a proper perspective on how far you've come, and really appreciate it every day. 

I think instead of beating myself up for not doing the perfect workout or food, I need to just keep doing fun things, staying social and being with other people. Most of my past over eating has been when I'm alone and being anti-social. I've been reading lately about studies describing the opposite of addiction is "connection" not abstinence or whatever other punishing thing... For me food was an addiction, and I'm still trying to embrace the healthier things to overcome it. That has to include more self acceptance!

It will all work out if we don't freak out over the small things. Good luck with your continued journey grayC :-)

Cindy Cooney
on 7/3/16 6:12 am - NJ
DS on 06/30/14

Food is an addition and it was my drug of choice.  Your photos look great and the scars will fade.  Just look at the pictures on Dr. Capella's website - people are 27 months out and you hardly see anything of the scar.  You just need more time. I took before pictures and you have them too.  There is a big improvement in the skin and appearance.  And your more active now. You need to find the activities that you enjoy doing.  I am an avid kayaker.  I did a 10 mile paddle the day before surgery.  I knew I wasn't going to be able to do any paddling this summer while I am recovering.  

Good luck to you in your journey and thank you for all of your help.

RNY - 3/26/14

HW - 380

CW 0 259

DS - 7/30/14

HW - 285

CW - 264.4

Dr. Greenbaum

ICG63
on 7/7/16 7:51 pm
Revision on 10/31/13

Thanks so much Cindy. All the best to you on your continued journey!

breathemusic
on 7/6/16 11:13 am

I'm almost 7 months out from my LBL and arm lift and almost 4 months out from my upper back lift with Dr. Michaels.  In both cases my scars are still a pretty dark red, and based on the pictures it looks like you and I have a similar skin tone.  I can only hope that they'll fade more in time, and I'm sure that they will!  But from all I've read it can take as much as 2 years!

I think the only thing that has saved me in terms of keeping my waist is that I just naturally have wide-set hip bones and my frame was already more naturally hour-glass shaped at every weight.  So glad for that since I'm not getting any thigh work done... so my wide hips and now plump but no longer saggy butt allow my shape to transition nicely into my still thicker thighs so I'm not just skinny with big thighs!

Most Active