Any way to reduce swelling more quickly after TT?

Han Shot First
on 8/16/16 1:50 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I had my TT on July 11th, and everything has went really well.  My drains came out after less than two weeks, and since then, I've accumulated some fluid.  The last time I saw my surgeon, he tapped on me for a while, saw the ripples, and told me that I definitely had some fluid in there but not enough to go in and drain it out.

I know that it takes a while to fully recover from surgery (6 months?), but does anyone have any advice on anything I could do to help reduce the fluid more quickly?  Currently, I wear my abdominal binder during the day, and I sleep without it at night (per the doctor's instructions).  If I wore it 24/7, would it help it more?  Any other advice to help this go down more quickly?  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Leslie W.
on 8/17/16 6:54 am - Cobourg, Canada

Really is just a question of time. My. Seroma absorbed over a month. For the first yr found i swelled whenever i was on my feet for the day

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Han Shot First
on 8/22/16 5:49 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

That's kind of what I figured.  Thanks.

--

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/17/16 9:25 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I had my surgery on July 8 - so about the same time as you.  I am still wearing compression sleeves on my arms - if I take them off for 30 min, my arms swell, even if I keep them over my head.  I wear compression sleeves 23.5 hours a day.  Today was the first day in a month that I did not wear lower compression garments - from thigh lipo (no lift). I expect that I have another 6-8 weeks on compression sleeves.  I bought another set 2 weeks ago.  

One problem is heat - so not sweating helps, esp if you had an lipo.

I also did a lymphatic massage, which helped temporarily - for a few days, but at it made me feel as though it would go away in time.  I checked with my ps and he said OK and I found a lymp massaeuse who works out of a plastic surgeon's office, so he was trained in the correct type of lym massage - many work with only lympedema patients.

Patience and treating yourself gently are the things that really work.

Ask your dr if it would help to wear the binder more.  I was told to wear the 'compression pants' 24/7 for  6 weeks.  I would ask your PS before you  wore it more.  I think they can impede the normal functioning of your bowels, etc.

Sharon

Han Shot First
on 8/22/16 5:51 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My surgeon told me to take it off at night and wear it during the day, but I had been wearing it 24/7 before he told me that.  I don't think it would have any negative effects, besides getting really warm.  Thanks for the advice.

--

NYMom222
on 8/18/16 6:28 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I was going to say the same thing... compression and lymphatic massage... You can even buy just a back brace compression type thing... that is what my Doc gave me at first and then I would alternate with the heavier duty compression 'knickers'...LOL.

This is the same as the Doc gave me, I ordered a second one: Compression

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Han Shot First
on 8/22/16 5:51 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I was just looking at the back brace compression ones, and I think at this point they could be a good option for me.  Thanks.

--

Most Active