Post Circumferential LBL and bracioplasty questions

lizzygirl
on 8/28/16 6:00 pm - Milton, Canada

Hi There

I have to admit I forgot about this forum for a while, I looked back a few pages but couldn't find what I was seeking.  I just had my surgery on Aug 23.  Drains came out on Friday.  Today I'm experiencing increased pain along the incision line, and some pain at the umbilicus.  I worry that I have overdone it.  What would be clues?  I suspect that I'm just gaining sensation along the incision lines, and that some swelling is coming down.  I did find that I needed to reduce the amount of compression around my middle to relive some of the discomfort along the incision line.  I think what I'm most concerned about is the sensations around the umbilicus.  Sharp discomfort and some deep sensation there.

If you can point me to a post that would help or provide advice I would be appreciative.  

Thanks in advance, 

Liz

Leslie W.
on 8/29/16 6:18 am - Cobourg, Canada

Your drains were not in that long. Could be a collection of fluid - seroma. 3 days post op is usually when swelling is at worst. As long as no increased redness, heat, fever you should be good. The lymphatics get cut so the is swelling for awhile. I found the umbilical area very sensitive. I just did scar revision to abdomen 3 weeks ago and the sutures at bellybutton very sensitive. Going to take awhile.

As far as overdoing it listen to your body. No lifting. Some walking is all that you should doing. If in doubt call your surgeon.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
lizzygirl
on 8/29/16 8:31 am - Milton, Canada

Thanks Leslie,

Hope your recovery is going well too!

NYMom222
on 8/31/16 7:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I remember along the incision line having weird sensations... almost felt like little pinches of pain...Doc said that was the nerves reconnecting, nerves get cut during surgery.

You are not that far out, so I don't think feeling pain is unusual. Even if you over did it, doesn't mean you damaged it. Take it easy, you are only a couple of weeks out.

I remember I couldn't really look at myself until week three when the swelling significantly came down that week. I have a one month out photo, and remember thinking 'oh the swelling is gone' and now that I look back...I was really still very swollen. Swelling continued to subside gradually for at least 3 months or more.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lizzygirl
on 8/31/16 8:33 pm - Milton, Canada

Thanks for the info.  I definitely note a change in the swelling already.  I'll have to take pictures to be objective I suppose.  Appreciate the advice.  I'm feeling a little anxious to get back to work/normal.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 9/2/16 11:32 pm, edited 9/2/16 4:37 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Yes, take pics. But take it easy - with the arm lift, you should have been given a lifting retriction - mine was 5 pounds for 6 weeks and then gradualy up to 10 pounds by 2 months.    WHen I have done enough - I have to stop using my arms - the dishwasher does not get emptied, the wash does not get into the drier.  I stop, elevate until the next day.  I did not spend all this money to get crappy scars because I over did things.  So what if I have to run the washer again.  Overdoing it is STUPID considering what the procedures cost you-I could have spent months in Europe for what I spent.

I found weeks 4 - 8 difficult because was not ready to do everything, and the healing slows down, and my friends think I should be doing everything because my scars are hidden.  I had to ignore them and thier comments that I should be doing more.  I was like - hello, I had 8 hours of surgery and 40 inches of incisions that need to heal. I am still swelling - and they would argue that the swelling wasn;t that bad.  I just rolled my eyes and was happy to pay someone to come in and help me for a few hours a week  The best $300 I spent.

Sharon

lizzygirl
on 9/5/16 12:22 pm - Milton, Canada

Hi there,

I wasn't given specific lifting restrictions but I will take your advice on lifting.  I have to remind myself to take it easy as I feel otherwise well.  Looking forward to getting more mobile but understand I will need to give it time.

Thanks!

Most Active