Suddenly getting PS...advice?

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/17/16 9:23 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I managed to some how (through voodoo, witch craft, and way too much time on phone calls) talk BCBS into covering plastics during an upcoming surgery! I am sooooo excited but worried I am not really educated enough about what to expect, how to plan for recovery, and whatever else I don't know that I don't know.

I will be having a bladder sling (mesh) removed and during the surgery. I have lost 135 pounds and currently weight 129.  Since my body has gotten so much smaller. My bladder sling (a strip of medical mesh 'tape' placed in the pubic area in a "U" shape from one side of the pubic mound to the under dipping down under the vaginal canal and the urethra) obviously hasn't gotten smaller.  Now it is pressed up through my skin and eroding into areas it shouldn't be.  I have a significant amount of pain from this and it needs to come out ASAP. Basically the date is not negotiable. Now is the time. 

While I am already under anesthesia and having a fairly invasive surgery, my plastic surgeon will do a full tummy tuck with panectomy AND breast lift with augmentation. WHHHHHAAA! My cost...$400. CRAZY right? This is the coolest benefit of having had soooo many medical troubles in my family this year...I've met all of my out of pocket maximums for the year so everything is covered at 100% except the $400 per hospital admit co-insurance. I'm super nervous about recovery and pain and all of it but yes please thank you I will gladly have this hanging skin removed and boobs again. I still can't hardly even believe it is going to happen. But it will...next Weds the 26th. Wheee.

What would you all tell me I need to know most? What can I expect that you wish someone had told you before hand? The surgeon says he does not use drains, uses a quilting technique instead, so I will not have those to deal with. He did say he uses a "long acting injected" type of pain medication as well so his advice was that my pain during recovery will be minimal. I need to get back to work ASAP so I am hoping I can get cleared to return to work in 2 weeks (I do a desk type job), he said that is possible but might need up to 4 weeks. Thoughts??

Current state of skin affairs FYI:

I promise to post after photos during post op and healing and in a year.

Thank you for your help,

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Laura in Texas
on 10/17/16 10:24 am

That's awesome. I have never heard of a plastic surgeon doing a "real" abdominoplasty (moving belly button, muscle tightening, etc) for only a copay.

I would make sure this plastic surgeon has experience with bariatric patients and does good work. Bad plastic surgery is hard to correct.

I would have needed at least 4 to be able to function at work, but thankfully I had 7 weeks off.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ICG63
on 10/20/16 11:11 am
Revision on 10/31/13

Hi Elizabeth,

You look amazing! Congratulations!! Sorry though for the difficulty/pain that got you to this point. 

Despite my scarring issues, I would wonder/ask about the difference between full body lift and what I think you are scheduled for, which only addresses the front. 

I initially had a fleur de lis tummy tuck, partially covered because I had an abdominal hernia..so while they were there, I went for TT.

After, I had pronounced "dog ears"--extra skin at my hips. 2 handfuls at the point where the incision ends and meets the backside. (Kinda like a hospital corner when you're tucking in sheets on a bed?). Anyway, long story a bit shorter, last January I had a lower body lift, breast lift and arm lift. Despite my healing issues(scarring is "keloid") , I'm glad that front and back are "lifted" evenly.

I echo what Laura in Texas is saying about making sure your surgeon has experience with bariatric patients, so that you don't have any regrets.

One more about my surgeon, Dr. Capella, he does a breast lift separately from lift and augmentation because he believes it will be a better result after healed from lift. (I'm paraphrasing, I'm sure that is explained better elsewhere.)

All the best on your continued journey!!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/16 7:33 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I wish you well, but you are have having several major surgeries stacked.  2 weeks to get back to work sounds optimistic.  Have back up plans in case it takes you longer.  Plastics are more difficult to heal from than WLS.  I would not miss this opportunity, but be certain that you understand everything correctly.

Get an electric recliner.  Don't expect to do more than heal for awhile.  Make sure you have help around the house for a few weeks (like 1-2 hours everyother day if you live alone.)  You do not want to have crappy scars because you busted them open.  Bring everything you will need and put it on kitchen counters - do not expect to reach.  Set your bath up with a chair in it. 

Sharon

janiclint
on 10/28/16 5:52 am

Hey, Elizabeth!! Hope the surgery has gone well. I know you can't see the result as soon asap but I'm very much excited to see your new pics. I thought of undergoing cosmetic plastic surgery but I'm scared to go under the knife. I live in Toronto along with my children and they are compelling me to reduce my weight.

How did you reduce 135 pounds? I'm struggling hard to reduce my weight. I'm looking for a way to reduce my weight. Maybe I will go for some weight loss surgery in the future (after overcoming my fear of knife). Lol..

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/29/16 8:20 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I had RNY gastric bypass in Oct 2015. I regret nothing! I say go for it. 

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

RNY_elizabeth
on 10/29/16 8:21 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

Recovery is going well. Pain is rough but not as horrible as I thought. Photos to come. 

NYMom222
on 11/4/16 6:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Glad you are on the other side. The first week is a blur, then it gets better...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Betsie
on 10/29/16 6:17 pm

That is wonderful!  So happy you were able to get ur insurance to cover it. My insurance covers but denies first and then I need docs to fight for me.  Ugh so frustrating. Ready to give up. Thank you for sharing your story. 

Most Active