Arm scars

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/16 2:14 am

anyone have theirs redone? 

Leslie W.
on 12/30/16 11:47 am - Cobourg, Canada

I  had mine revised. New ones flatter but still wider and redder than I like. Started laser. Had one treatment and going for another soon.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/16 6:05 pm

Good to know they are a little better.  I will google laser treatments.  THANKS! 

DrL
on 12/30/16 3:51 pm - Houston, TX

Arm scars are tough because of several reasons: the skin is super thin, the tissue is poorly supported and there are no deep layers to take tension off the closure and its also very easy to leave the closure a bit too tight.  When scars get pulled, the body responds by making a thick, red, or wide scar.

I am a proponent of Embrace scar therapy, which takes tension off the scar during the critical phase of healing 3-8 weeks after surgery.  Its like braiding the trunk of a ficus tree...you can do it only while the tree is young and supple, not after it has matured. Same thing with scars.

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/16 6:09 pm

Hey dr L.  I talked to you years ago when I was researching plastic surgery.  I'm going to send you a msg tomorrow about a few things.  If that's ok? 

DrL
on 12/30/16 9:55 pm - Houston, TX

Sure !  My email for patient questions is best:  [email protected]

Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
catwoman7
on 1/1/17 7:52 am
RNY on 06/03/15

it looks like scar therapy can be done remotely, correct?  I've been thinking about this because I may have to travel for plastic surgery since I want someone who specializes in massive weight loss patients.  If not, I may need to limit myself to surgeons in the Chicago area since I can get back & forth from there fairly easily (I live in southern Wisconsin, but I haven't stumbled across anyone yet locally whose focus is primarily people who've had massive weight loss).  I would definitely be interested in scar therapy - at least on my arms.  I really don't care about the parts people can't see...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

DrL
on 1/1/17 7:24 pm - Houston, TX

Yes you could do the Embrace on your own although you may need hep applying it to some areas. We prefer to do it when possible to get he best results...the key is when to begin it. Too early, and it covers the incisions too much and they get wet and can get infected.

Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
RNY on 12/22/14

I had my arms done and I think I would agree with the Embrace - esp for the arm between the elbow and the armpit.  The scar going down the side of my chest wall healed fine with Biocorneum and the scar below my elbow looks good.  But I think the cost for the Embrace for that section would have been worth it.

Sharon

Most Active