Questions about OHIP and panni etc. (in Ontario)

Nikki101
on 2/22/17 3:12 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

Looking for information on the process, who accepts OHIP, is there any doctors that finance for the tummy tuck etc I hear is always recommended. Any way to get ohip to cover more, I've heard they may even for tummy tuck if it relates to health issues/pain. 

I'm thinking of starting the process and I'm wondering how long it takes.  I'm also going to have the hard discussion with my other half about children.... We don't share the same Ideas it seems.  Anyone have the surgery and have children after?

I'd appreciate any info really! I feel like the hanging tummy skin is the worse and it's causing rashes and other unlovely and painful issues. 

Thanks!

Leslie W.
on 2/22/17 4:17 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You want to make sure whoever you see specializes in wls patients. Our skin is very different and heals differently. Second you need a surgeon who works with OHIP. I use Dr. Nandagopal in Scarborough.OHIP will cover panni only if you qualify. A panni is just skin removal below bellybutton. You do have option to upgrade and self pay.

Document skin issues, rashs, sores etc... See your GP as required. Bring the documentation with you to your consult. OHIP will not pay for TT. Breast reduction may be covered but you need to meet the criteria.

Depending on the surgeon the process can take months to year. As well if having it done in hospital versus private clinic affects wait time.

As having all my body conturing done and going through some tough and painful recoveries I would wait till you have had your kids before payig for TT.

I would recommend seeing a ps. They will tell you what would be the best procedure based on what your goals are.

I have seem flyers for medical financing in Dr. Nandagopal office.

Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nikki101
on 2/22/17 5:35 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

My other half doesn't want children - hence my holding off. And I assumed the process would be lengthy, which is why I figured I'd start asking now.

What do you mean by ps?

I've heard of the panni and then upgrade and pay for the upgrade portion before I think. Which would be lovely.
Would you suggest with documentation, I'm planning on beginning to take pictures as I have a *lovely* rash under that hanging skin as it is right now.... But I rarely see my doctor in regards to it. My gyno is usually pretty booked and I can't just go see her and say "hey, i've got another rash" and my new family doctor is a dude that I have to remind on the few visits I have went to him, that I've had WLS and remind him what I can and can't have etc.  

Financing would be lovely - my grandma had offered to help with the costs but she's since become very ill and I would feel like I'm taking advantage of her or something, and I don't think she's mentally capable of remembering which would lead to a world of issues. So I'm not comfortable with even bringing it up anymore.

Ideally, for now it's mostly my stomach that bothers me, followed by legs then arms. But the stomach being the worse... aside from the hanging panni area I have this weird pointy part above my bell button now. And I feel like I'm always tucking clothing under the panni and sometimes around the belly button area.

I'm not worried about my breasts - i have pretty much nothing to reduce and as long as they're contained in a bra they're tolerable. If anything down the road maybe a lift but I know I simply cannot afford all that right now being in school full time, so priorities first aka most annoying. :)

Leslie W.
on 2/22/17 5:52 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Sorry ps= plastic surgeon. Upgrade your looking at about 5 000-6 000 depending where and who does it. Definetly take pictures and document what you use on it. It all helps. I totally get the extra skin.

Good luck on your journey.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Nikki101
on 2/22/17 6:17 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

Thank you. Will definitely be taking pictures. Maybe I'll get a notebook to write things in as well.  I figured around 5500 from what I'd heard before about upgrading it.  I just have to save that up somehow. I'm assuming my other half's benefits won't cover it either. LOL.

sk8muffsmom
on 2/23/17 1:28 pm - Canada

Weird pointy part above belly button may be a hernia..... muscle repair.?.... maybe covered by OHIP? I wasn't worried about the other parts either until after..... then its like putting on a new dress and still wearing "old shoes".........

Good luck :)

Nikki101
on 3/14/17 5:24 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

I've always had it, it's just like the way my skin goes. It's always been like that. It doesn't cause any pain or anything just looks funny.

The part that bothers me is when I go down stairs my skin "flops" and makes noise, or if I walk to fast or try to run... I don't run ever because of the sound! Lol. And well... it shows for sure in dresses and such.

katzmeow13
on 3/13/17 6:49 pm

OWMC will refer you to OHIP covered Plastics surgeons. For a long time there was only one in the area.

A year waiting list for consult and then a min 15-18 months once approved.

he will do panni under OhIP and charge the difference for Full TT. (Mine was 5000$ plus tax)

i just had mine three weeks ago. He won't do stomach and breast in same surgery.

i don't think he will even apply for breast reductions anymore due to backlog.

i was already approved from early 2016 so now I wait. Since I am self employed I think I'll try 10-12 months before I have to take 6 weeks off again.

all that said, my last follow up at OWMC they told me there were two new dr's in the area they were referring too which may cut down on wait times.

good luck

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Nikki101
on 3/14/17 5:21 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/15

New to this.. what is OWMC? So, going with OHIP is going to basically take a few years? Which I'm mostly okay with. And honestly, I'm not concerned with breast surgery right now. It's just the hanging skin and such that's driving me nuts... you know.. the slapping sound when you do stairs, and any running or quick moving. LOL!

katzmeow13
on 3/14/17 6:16 am

OWMC is the clinic that does the rny surgeries in Ottawa, as well as follow ups. When you see the nurse you ask her to refer you to one of the plastic surgeons. If you are in another area of Ontario just make an appointment with the clinic who originally took care of you.

on a side note if you are planning on having children it is best to have any plastic surgery after and not before.

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Most Active