Surgery scheduled for LBL, BL/BA and arm lift - any helpful hints or suggestions to prepare

nancy6
on 3/16/17 9:58 am - Tacoma, WA

I've got my surgery scheduled for May 22 to have the LBL, BL with small implants and an arm lift all in one surgery. My PS will be assisted by the other PS in the practice which is how they are able to do it all in one session. This is my preference so I only have one surgery and recovery. I plan to rent a electric lift recliner for post surgery but would appreciate any other helpful hints or suggestions you may have so that when the surgery date comes along, I'm ready to go. Thanks much!!

~Nancy~

Laura in Texas
on 3/16/17 4:51 pm

I stocked up on unscented maxi pads from the dollar store to use instead of gauze against my incisions. I did not use the tape to stick on anything. They just stayed in place between my compression garments and my incisions to cushion them. I also cut slits in them to put them around my drain sites to absorb any drainage that leaked out.

I also kept ready to drink protein shakes on hand to drink my first couple of weeks. My stomach muscles were pulled tight and that made eating solid foods difficult for me. They were easy to use to keep up my protein levels (my surgeon wants his patients to consume extra protein to aid in healing).

I also loved my raised toilet seat.

Congrats and happy healing!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

nancy6
on 3/16/17 6:32 pm - Tacoma, WA

Thanks, Laura - great advice that I'll definitely use. I'm a bit nervous about the recovery, but looking forward to the end results for sure! Thanks again!

~Nancy~

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 5:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Did you rent a toilet seat? Or buy one?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

G2GAWAY
on 3/16/17 9:50 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I just had the LBL 6 weeks ago. I borrowed an electric chair from a friend and used it for about a week or week and a half. I slept in it too. I had a wedge pillow that I used when I transitioned to the bed. I don't know that I would go buy one, but it was helpful for a while and I already had it. You will be amazed (at least I was) about how many things you can drop in a day. I had one of those grabber claws and a backscratcher/hand type thing that I used to pick things up for that first week. Honestly, I was quite surprised at how quickly I recovered. I am not sure if I was just really fortunate or if that is how it is for most people, but I worked full days from home after a week and a half (for a week) and returned to work full time after that. I was told by several people to take the pain pills by the clock at first because if you wait, then it will be too late. I didn't have a lot of pain because of that and I would just describe it as discomfort vs. pain. After the first week, I didn't take the pain med until the evenings, but I was ready for it by then. I haven't had a pain pill in weeks.

Just be careful and pace yourself and ask for help if you need it. It is major surgery after all. Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

nancy6
on 3/17/17 7:37 am - Tacoma, WA

Thanks for the great hints! I especially appreciated the note about the grabber "stick". I have one so will just need to keep it nearby. I hadn't even thought of that. So good to hear that your recovery went so well - that gives me hope! I recovered quickly from my WLS but I know that was laparoscopic and this will be a much more major surgery, but I'm still hopeful that I'll have an easy recovery. Glad you were able to work from home after a week and a half as that is my plan as well. I actually work from home all the time so that part I'm not too worried about. I figured about 10 days after surgery I'd work part-time for a couple days and then be back to full-time the following week. I have the luxury of being able to split it up during the day as long as I get the 8 hours in so I think it will be OK.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and suggestions with me!

~Nancy~

sonnieN
on 3/17/17 5:54 am - grand rapids, MI

I had a shower chair that really saved me as I started to pass out in the shower the first time I took one at home. Thank goodness I was already sitting down and my mom (who's a registered nurse) was there. For me the raised toilet seat was a bad thing but I'm short so that made a big difference. I also bought a computer table that would work for while I was in the recliner or on the couch so it wouldn't have to sit on my lap.

I had the lifting chair but couldn't sleep in it at nigh as my neck would get a huge kink. Then went to a regular recliner for sleeping and had the same issue. Ended up my favorite place for sleeping was on the couch w/ pillows propped up under my back and knees.

Also after the first week once my mom was no longer staying and taking care of me she made sure everything I might need was on waist level. All the water and drinks were on the top shelf in the refrigerator. I also taught my dog to jump up on the couch so I could put on and take off her leash w/o bending over (she's only 8lbs).

nancy6
on 3/17/17 7:29 am - Tacoma, WA

Thanks!! I'm very short, too (4' 10") so hearing that the raised toilet seat didn't help was good to know. I was thinking of getting one, but may rethink that. I appreciate the other hints and helps, too. I work from home so the computer lap table is a great idea. I plan to be back working part-time after 10 days or so and that may be very helpful.

Thanks again!

~Nancy~

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 5:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

How tall are you? I'm 5'4" and wondering about the toilet seat for myself!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sonnieN
on 3/27/17 7:12 am - grand rapids, MI

I'm 5'3"

Most Active