Post-Op Clothing

Gwen M.
on 3/26/17 2:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi all. I'm a planner, what can I say. It's hard to believe that my first plastic surgery is only 10 weeks away. Eek! I'm thinking about what I'll want to get to wear while healing.

First surgery - LBL/arms
I figure I won't be lifting my arms up over my head, want to do the "twist bra around" thing, or want anything that's tight around my midsection. Does that seem sensible? So I'm thinking that some soft front closure bras and maybe some loose button-front soft dresses might be super easy? Surgery is in June and I'll be an online-only student at that point with plenty of support at home, so I won't need to leave the house unless I want to which means fashion isn't a high concern. (Although I assume I'll go stir crazy eventually, but I can have help to get dressed when that occurs.) What about panties? I know I'll have compression garments and I guess those will cover the actual incisions?

Second surgery - breasts/back
This one seems like it'll be easier because everything will be on top. I suppose that button up shirts will be best? Will I need to wear bras or will the compression clothing take the place of that? If I do need bras, I guess the same sort of bra? Super soft/front closure?

Third surgery - legs
Since this is all below the waist, I assume similar - loose dress or maybe loose sweatpants? Although I feel like dresses might be superior since that doesn't require pulling anything up my legs, bending over, etc.

What are your thoughts for all of this stuff? Closer to surgery I'll visit a local medical supply place to see about a walking cane and toilet riser. I'm not entirely sure which route I want to go for a chair yet. It seems like people who get the electric recliners REALLY love them, but it also seems like the people who don't get them are totally happy not to have them, so I might just get an anti-gravity type lawn chair like NYMom used.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/27/17 4:59 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had a TT - The compression garment covered the incision, so panties were fine. BUT I found that having a soft camisole under the compression garment made a HUGE difference in comfort. Old Navy has inexpensive soft ones.

Btw, I bought a spanx to wear after the compression garment but never used it so don't plan TOO far ahead.

Best advance purchase by far was a foam wedge pillow - I used it on he couch and in bed for about a month.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 5:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks!

What did you use the pillow for? Your head? Your legs?

I've seen other people mention wearing something soft under the compression garment - definitely sounds like a good idea :)

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/27/17 7:57 am, edited 3/27/17 12:57 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I used the wedge to raise the top half of my body (also had a pillow). I used a regular (but firm) pillow under my knees.

PS wanted me in a chaise lounge position (seems like some use recliners for that).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

emelar
on 3/27/17 11:24 am - TX

LBL - the compression garment protects you. It's crotchless, which is an absolute blessing. The incision is the absolute least of your worries. The area around it is numb. If you have drains, they are the most irritating thing. Get some thin sanitary napkins, make a cut in it, and slide it around the drain where it goes into your skin. That provides extra cushioning and it'll help keep the drain in place.

Arm lift - I had pretty full range of motion, but yes, anything that minimizes having to pull, push, or swing your arms around too much is good.

I didn't have the upper back done. For the breast lift, I was in compression and that took care of that. Again, the drains were the biggest issue.

Thighs, same as breasts. I was in a longer legged version of the LBL compression garment. I wore loose pants and dresses.

Lisa_at_the_beach
on 3/28/17 11:44 am - Raleigh, NC
with

I used womans adaptive tops from silverts. They are great as you don't have to twist or turn or raise your arms, they drape around you and snap at the top. The nurses that dressed me after my breast/arm lift loved them. I just bought the cheapest I could find they served me well.

http://www.silverts.com/show.php/list/women/tops/need-adaptive-clothing

sonnieN
on 3/28/17 12:56 pm - grand rapids, MI

I was like you and first surgery was LBL/arms in July. I just had a compression garment that went around my waist and like sleeves for my arms that closed over my chest. I agree that a camisole or something light cotton underneath. I didn't wear panties and just wore loose pj bottoms or workout pants w/ more of an elastic waistband (not yoga pants). For my tops I had a bunch of large t-shirts from back before I lost all the weight. Were light and easy to get on over my head w/ very little movement of my arms.

Second surgery was breast lift w/ aug. and thighs. My surgeon after the the bra garment he used told me to just wear some sports bra's which I did and they were fine. Found some at Target that had a rear clasp like a regular bra so I didn't have to pull over my head. Since you're doing your back too maybe a traditional one may be better since who knows where a clasp may be on your back/incisions or maybe a front closure one. For my thighs I was given a compression garment that when from knee to waist and had an opening at the crotch. I still undid it when using the restroom as I wanted to be sure nothing got on it by accident since squatting and sitting on the potty was not the easiest thing. Again just wore loose pj bottoms or exercise pants. Pulling things up over my legs didn't bother me since they were covered by the compression garments.

I didn't use a toilet seat raiser but I'm short (5'3") so that on top of the regular seat put way too much pressure on my thighs. They will be swollen and very sore (worst pain out of all the surgeries). I had a lifting recliner which was helpful for the day getting up and down but found it very uncomfortable to sleep in. Tried a regular recliner to sleep and had the same issue. Ended up sleeping on the couch w/ pillows/cushions behind my back and under my knees. Used the back of the couch for support for my neck and since I was in a mostly upright position getting up unassisted was much easier.

Good luck to you and your surgeries.

emelar
on 3/28/17 1:13 pm - TX

Get one of these:

Go Girl Female Urinal

Life is so much easier when you can stand up and pee.

emelar
on 3/28/17 4:17 pm - TX

I found a post I did a while back with a supply list and check list. Hope this helps!

Bacitracin First aid Antibiotic Ointment, USP - this is the ointment they recommend for the incisions

Telfa Non-Adherent Dressing, 3" x 4"- this is the gauze dressing for the incisions

Micropore Paper Tape: White - tape to hold the Telfa in place

Freshette by Freshette - female urinal

Vitamin C

Benadryl - cream and pills

Colace/Miralax

minipads

The grabber and the walker were the other two things that were really useful, and you have them already.

Tips:

1. The compression garment is your friend. They'll put it on you in surgery. But it messes with your blood pressure. So when you take it off, make sure you're in bed laying down. Undo it, and stay in bed for a few minutes to let your pressure normalize. Sit up and let your pressure normalize some more. Then you can stand up.

2. Changing the dressing. They'll have you change the dressing on the incisions twice a day. Take a Telfa pad and cut it in two so you have two long strips. It may take as many as 6-8 (or more, depending on swelling!) to get all the way around you. When you have help around, you can have them get the strips prepared. What I did when I was by myself is get up with the compression garment still on, prep the strips (cut them and put the Bacitracim on them, and get the tape ready), then go lay down, get the garment undone, then go change the dressings and take a cat bath and empty the drains.

3. The drains. They are a necessary evil. They didn't hurt, but they're in the way. You may want to have some Kotex minipads around. The drain sites can get a little sore. You can make a cut in the pad, slide it around the drain next to your skin, and it creates a cushion and keeps the drain from being pulled. It doesn't hurt when they remove the drains - just feels a little odd.

4. Keep all necessities within reach. You'll be able to get around and do some light food preparation, use the microwave, etc. But keep some simple stuff close at hand that doesn't require much preparation. Protein drinks and protein bars are a good idea. But you've done the whole weight loss surgery thing - you know the routine! Keep your protein high for healing. Vitamin C was the only other supplement recommended.

5. I put benadryl on the list because you may have an allergic reaction to the internal sutures or the tape. It's pretty common. I didn't have the issue with the LBL, but I did with other surgeries. Mostly just itching, although I've had mild hives as well. The benadryl usually does the trick for me. Claritin was the other recommendation.

6. If they're still doing to same prescriptions, they'll give you a narcotic painkiller, valium, and an anti-nausea med. Take them! Don't be a hero. And take colace or miralax or your stool softener of choice. The narcotics will constipate you.

7. I've always asked them to stick a scopolamine (motion sickness) patch on me as well when I go into surgery to help avoid nausea. They'll give you IV anti-nausea meds, but I always figured having the patch wouldn't hurt anything.

8. Clothing - at home, mostly in the compression garment with a zip up hoodie on. When I went out, I pulled on some loose yoga pants with the hoodie. Keep it simple and comfortable.

9. If you have a recliner, use it. Have lots of pillows around so you can shift pressure off of your body. You won't be able to sleep on your side for awhile - you're going to be on your back with pillows under your knees.

10. Expect to be on an emotional rollercoaster. You'll go through the "what did I do to myself" phase, the "how did I do thing to myself!" phase, the "I look pretty darn good" phase, the hypercritical "gee, couldn't he have pulled me a little tighter" phase, and finally the happy phase. Actually, I was pretty happy right after surgery because I was FLAT! And you'll be flat too!

Gwen M.
on 3/29/17 12:29 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you! This is all great information! Did you have Dr. Michaels too? (I can't remember who all here has used him.)

I'll save this to reference in the future :D And I'll warn the people in my life about the emotional roller coaster.

Most Active