Lift First THEN Augment? Hard Time Choosing

FuturePinUp
on 4/6/17 10:29 am

Hello again!

So I had my third consult today and it also went really well, and I really, really liked the surgeon except for one thing: I want to do a TT or LBL plus a lift/augmentation at the same time. The other surgeons I saw had no problems doing the lift and augmentation, but this last surgeon I met with doesn't do it.

He will do the LBL and Breast Lift as one procedure, but I would have to come back to do the augmentation as a separate procedure. This really kills me. He mentioned I could do it like 3 months after the lift and it's a really simple, fast procedure but I am hesitant because I really do NOT want to have another surgery to address my issues.

Secondly (and you may call me shallow or silly), the thought of having a large B-cup, small C - even for 3 months makes me want to cry. I have always been a large-chested girl and I guess having a larger cup size is so intrinsically tied to my idea of self. Since I was 14 years old, I haven't been anything less than a D-cup. My boobs are probably in my top-three physical features I like about myself.

So I really, really don't know what to do and I could use your advice. I know I come here a lot for that but I don't really have anyone in person that I feel comfortable enough with to discuss this. Right now I am really conflicted between two surgeons that I met and I don't know how to pick. How did you end up picking?

One has insane amount of experience with WLS patients, highly recommended, but won't do the augmentation the same time as the lift. Also recommends an LBL as opposed to a TT. Surgery will involve an overnight hospital stay.

The other is newer on the field, but also highly recommended, will do the lift/augmentation, plus a TT. Surgery will be done in their operating facility, as an outpatient procedure.

They both have additional pluses and minuses, that aren't as significant to me as the ones above.

I could really appreciate some advice and as always, thank you all for reading my countless posts, and providing feedback.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

nancy6
on 4/6/17 11:04 am - Tacoma, WA

I totally understand your dilemma. I was in a similar situation and can only let you know what I decided and why. I had consults with 4 different plastic surgeons and ultimately went with the one who was willing to do all the procedures at one time and was local for me. (A PS in Mexico was willing to "try" to do all at once, but would make the decision during surgery, depending on how I was doing then.)

I'm scheduled for a lower body lift, arm lift and breast lift with augmentation/implants, all to be done on May 22. There will be 2 plastic surgeons doing the surgery which is the only reason they were able/willing to do it all at once. I wanted to only go through surgery once - one time under general anesthesia, one recovery, etc. I know it's a lot to have done at once and the recovery won't be pleasant, but it will all be done this one time.

Out of the 4 PS I consulted, only 1 would not do the implants at the same time as the lift and thought I might be happy with just the lift. He was really my top choice at the beginning, but due to his not being willing to do the implants at the same time as the breast lift was a game changer for me. He also works alone and would not be willing to do all the procedures in one surgery, which also played into my decision. I felt sure that I would want implants and really didn't want to go through a second surgery just on the breasts.

Cost also played into my decision. If I had chosen my top choice, it would have meant a minimum of two surgeries (LBL one time and arms/breast lift in a second procedure and then implants in a third one, if I wanted). Of course, having 2-3 surgeries meant the costs would be considerably higher as well as having multiple recovery periods.

So I guess my advice to you is to just weigh out all the options. Seems like you have a real close call to make. Have you seen before/after photos from both surgeons for the procedures you want? Have you asked the one why he recommends a TT vs. LBL? Maybe all you really need is a TT. I wish I had a magic answer for you, but hope this helps at least a little bit.

I wish you all the best on this journey and look forward to hearing what you decide.

~Nancy~

FuturePinUp
on 4/6/17 1:31 pm

I have seen both doctor's before/afters and they are both really impressive. I don't think an LBL is necessary for me, per se, but maybe it would yield slightly better results? I don't really have any issues with a saggy butt or legs - but I guess it would pull stuff tighter. All the other surgeons I consulted with (in person and on-line) said a full TT would fix my issues. The surgeon *****commended an LBL mentioned I would have "dog ears" with just a TT, but my other surgeon said that lipo of the flanks (which would be included in the TT) would address those problems.

Thank you so much for your advice and experience. It definitely helps a lot!

Here's a photo of me from the side:

And a front before/after for reference, as well:

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

nancy6
on 4/7/17 1:57 pm - Tacoma, WA

Just from your pics it would seem to me that a TT would be sufficient, but of course I'm no doctor. :) I wish you all the best as you make this decision and move forward on the journey!

~Nancy~

FuturePinUp
on 4/10/17 10:20 am

Thank you! I am leaning towards just going with the TT, because the majority of the doctors had recommended it as the best procedure to address my skin issues.

I am a little afraid of "dog ears" but will address those concerns with my surgeons pre-op and hopefully, feel better about it all.

Laura in Texas
on 4/8/17 2:49 pm

Did any of them suggest the fleur de lis/vertical incision?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

FuturePinUp
on 4/10/17 10:07 am

No, thankfully! I asked them all about it and not one of them said it would be necessary to attain the results I am looking for, even higher up.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/10/17 3:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Your back looks better than mine and your tummy looks similar. I had a TT and am thrilled with the results. Here is my previous posting with before and after pics:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/plasticsurgery/6017451/Pic s-6-5-Weeks-Post-Op-TT-and-lower-mini-Facelift/

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

FuturePinUp
on 4/10/17 10:41 am

Yes! Thank you for sharing those pics. Your results are absolutely spectacular. If my tummy could look anywhere near as great as that, I would be extremely pleased!

The surgeon that I am learning towards going with looked me right in the eyes and told me I would be in a bikini after this. I told him "Hah! I doubt that, but it's fine. I'm ok with never wearing one. That's not why I'm doing this. I'm realistic." And he goes "I hope you know that I'm going to remind you of this conversation after you're post-op, and going bikini shopping. You WILL be in a bikini. I will give you those results." :)

NYMom222
on 4/10/17 7:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I never wore a bikini before..or thought I wanted to. You know I love it!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active