Specific Exercise Questions - Yoga, Pilates, Running

Gwen M.
on 4/8/17 8:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Since I have a ton of free time (LOL, not) I thought it made sense to read through the entirety of the Plastic Surgery Forum. I did this with the VSG forum (when I actually did have free time in my life) and it was hugely beneficial to me.

I'll be having the following surgeries:

#1 - LBL, arms

#2 - UBL, breasts

#3 - thighs

My main forms of exercise are running, yoga, and pilates. How long will it be after each of these surgeries for me to be able to do each of these exercises?

Running - it seems like all of the surgeries will bork my running because of movement (arm/leg swings) and then torso twisting.

Yoga - I'd imagine everything will make the stretching of yoga a no-go.

Pilates - since pilates is primarily core, I know that it's going to be on hold after #1. But there's also twisting and then things that require spreading the legs so... yeah.

What am I really looking at here in terms of time off exercise? Will I be able to go back to all of this stuff 6 weeks after each operation? Or will I basically not be able to do anything other than wal****il I'm "completely" recovered from all three of the surgeries? (I'm signed up for my second half marathon in March 2018 and I'm hoping I'll be able to get back to training for it by January at the latest! But, if I can't... it is what it is.)

Thoughts?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 4/9/17 9:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Dr M's general rule is 6 weeks barring complications. With my bonus drama last summer I had to wait 8 weeks, and then even when I did get back into things, It started causing numbnesx in my calves so I had to scale back. My othef 2 surgeries I started back at 6 weeks no problem, except having to build up my strength again.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Gwen M.
on 4/10/17 4:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks! Reading through the archives here I was finding posts that said, "OMG NO YOGA FOR A YEAR!!!" and thinking, "wait, what?!"

What exercises did you do at 6 weeks?

And I have a totally random question - but did Dr. M remove your sweat/hair glands with your brachioplasty?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 4/10/17 7:31 am
RNY on 07/23/14

For Me when I went back to exercising I started back everyday to my Beachbody 21-day-fix which is a combination of everything upper, lower, abs, cardio freeweights.... Where I got into trouble after the legs was I did my mini-trampoline in addition, and that was too much at the time on them. I did it for like 2 weeks... and was like hmmmm... asked Dr. M- he said to cut back on that and change it up and see if that was causing my numbness. I didn't think it was, but boom. He was right. When I stopped the trampoline I was fine.

I actually did start a Beachbody Cize dance video at about 4 weeks after arms/breasts- because it was dance I could easily leave out any extraneous arm movements I couldn't do...

And yes he did remove my sweat/hair glands- I don't think He promises that.,..LOL. But no shaving and no deodorant needed for me! Bonus.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NakedAndAfraid123
on 4/19/17 8:45 am

Hi Gwen

I had one 6-hour surgery for a LBL, arm lift and breast lift October 25 after losing about 70 pounds with diet/exercise.

My primary form of exercise is yoga/pilates and water exercise. I am 61. I resumed mild yoga stretching with my physician's approval at 4 weeks - primarily to stretch my very very tight arm pits. I found child pose very difficult fdue to the LBL and downward dog much easier. (I also did not have abdominal muscle repair so I think my recovery was much easier and had only one opening in my butt crack).

At 6 weeks I resumed both yoga and pilates and my body told me what was too much and when to back off - like plank was a challenge. Also I have found even now at 6 months I am not able to raise my arms as I could previously (like in crescent moon) like I could previously, due to a fear of ripping (same consideration for any arm reach like doing laundry with my stackable dryer). I feel my arm pits are still too tight however and maybe a permanent result.

Based on your surgery schedule you probably can resume exercise 6 weeks after your first and second surgeries but may have to wait longer after the thigh lift because my reading on other websites is that surgery is more prone to openings/complications.

Good luck with everything coming up wishing you a wonderful outcome!

Most Active