PS Consult yesterday, one more coming up in a week

Deanna798
on 5/5/17 5:30 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I had a consult with Dr. Michael Gray in West Bloomfield Twp, MI. He is a cosmetic surgeon who works out of his own Surgery Center. I was looking at a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift with Augmentation. The whole thing, out the door was quoted at between $11k and $12k for saline implants. I really liked him, and felt comfortable with him and his knowledge.

I have another consult with Dr. Vincent DiNick in Ypsilanti, MI next Saturday. He works through St. Josephs in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm interested to see what he says about getting insurance to cover it.

I honestly don't know that I'll be able to afford it this year, as my husband is off on disability and our income in a bit hindered at the moment, but I'm encouraged to know that it's an affordable option. I may just have to wait for a few years until we catch up on some bills.

Does anyone have $12k I can borrow? LOL

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Gwen M.
on 5/5/17 8:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Super exciting :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 5/5/17 10:28 am

Awesome!! It is great to at least know what you are looking into even if you have to wait. My sil waited a year and her ps still honored his original quote. I also know quite a few people who negotiated their cost downward, so keep that in mind (for example, if you like Surgeon A but he is 4000 more than Surgeon B, call Surgeon A and say, "Surgeon B quoted me 4 less, can you match his price?"- sometimes they do)

Plastics is the fun part!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Deanna798
on 5/5/17 11:57 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was complaining about not having the money to a coworker and she said "Just take a loan from your 401k" and it was like a light bulb going off. My husband will flip a wig when he hears that's what I'm going to do, but I'm going to push him and impress on him how much this will help me.

I am just in the process of rolling over my 401k from my last employer to my current one, so I'm super excited about it.

It doesn't seem too out of reach right now. I'm going to get my hubby a beer and butter him up for a talk this evening.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

christinerocks
on 5/6/17 6:07 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Definitely!! Think of how much more enjoyable your retirement will be. And even more importantly - you have DECADES of happiness and living to do before you get there. Go for it!!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Laura in Texas
on 5/6/17 11:01 am

I think that is a great idea, but I would not share that with everyone. You would have too many naysayers telling you not to. But for me, mentally I had to get rid of the skin and would have done the same thing.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Deanna798
on 5/6/17 2:18 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

pfft, I honestly can't imagine anyone telling me not to do it. I guess i don't allow people like that in my life. Though, it's not really something that I'd share on facebook or anything. I have no problem telling people what I think of their opinions. lol

My husband was against it, until I told him the terms of the loan and the interest rate, which I would actually be paying to myself. It's really not a bad deal.

I'm going to wait to decide until after the consult next weekend. I'm in the process of rolling over my 401k to my new employers account and i can't do anything until that is all set, anyway.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/17 11:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Ya know what? I'm gonna tell you not to do it.

You're not done losing all of your weight. Your comments and behavior over the previous months suggest you don't have your head in the right place for maintenance yet.

You don't have your finances under control. Despite taking a high-er paying job due to "living beyond your means" and racking up debt, you don't seem to be any more responsible with your additional income. You've bought a fancy fridge, a purebred puppy, you're taking a foreign vacation, and you still have major bills to pay.

You're on psych meds, including stimulants for BED, that may not mix well with pain pills. You're still drinking, which is also not a great combination with the opiates commonly prescribed after surgery.

IIRC, your husband is still recovering from his own health issues, and will be having his own WLS in the future.

I'm concerned for your well-being. I'm not the only one.

My opinion is that rushing into plastics like this is hugely irresponsible. Take it or leave it.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Deanna798
on 5/24/17 12:45 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

How the heck to you know how I am being with my additional income? Do you know what I spend my money on and how my finances actually are, or is it just because I have complained, here on a message board, that makes you think that I am being irresponsible with my money?

The last thing that I have bought for myself were those shoes.

I also don't feel like I have to justify or address any of the things that you have brought up above, since I'm working with my doctor to make sure that I'm healthy enough for surgery. The thought that I would drink while taking narcotics is just a bit offensive. How much do you think I'm drinking? Do you actually know if there is any interaction with my BED meds?

Seriously, thank you for your concern, and for the concern of others that are worried for me, but you really don't need to worry.

thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/24/17 1:00 pm, edited 5/24/17 6:14 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Glad to hear your doctor is on board.

Good luck.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active