Just a few questions ...

Mahalo F.
on 8/10/17 7:40 am

Hello

I must admit that I have been a bit of a creeper on this site.

Live reading about your plastics and success.

I want to begin by saying that I am Canadian and perhaps this is directed at to all the Canadians on this site.

I have recently got my plastics referral.

I am most interested in abdominalplasty. I have an anbilical hernia that needs repairing. I understand that the Paneculectomy ($4000)is covered by OHIP.

The rest of out of pocket. My question is what has been your out of pocket for the rest of the surgery.

I have the BAT wings, sagging boobies and I am not going to get into the inner thighs.

BUT honestly would only like to get my abdomen done. I am a widow with three young children.

Plastic surgery really is not an essential but I am not happy with the excess skin sitting in my lap. TMI- odour under the flap. In a perfect world it would all be covered by OHIP. (medical coverage .

I find it maddening that they would cover a sex change operation or safe injection sites for drug addict , but will not cover WLS success!

On a perfect world, I would win a lottery and get everything done.

What are your thoughts? Can any of the Canadians weigh in on this? Pardon the pun!

Thank you !

Sandra.

Mahalo.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Gwen M.
on 8/10/17 8:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might try posting this in the forum linked to your province if you haven't already.

The only thing I can add is that if you get all of the operations you mentioned, it will likely take more than one surgery. You might also consider looking into medical tourism - just make sure to pick a surgeon who has expertise with post-massive weight loss clients. My understanding is that our skin and our needs are different than the non-MWL population.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sk8muffsmom
on 8/10/17 7:38 pm - Canada

First off, congratulations on your weight loss, your doing amazing :)

I don't want to discourage you but a Plastic's referral doesn't automatically mean OHIP approval. You need to see a Plastic surgeon willing to work with you and apply to OHIP on your behalf. There is a criteria that OHIP looks for ..... basically if the skin covers your pubic area or lower you have a better chance, documentation of skin breakdown, infections & raw rashes. Good thing is that having the hernia will help pay for the muscle repair. They also look at how long you've been at a stable weight...... & I've been told at lease a year of maintaining your loss.

In 2014 in the Toronto area, I had a panniculectomy,(not sure what its $$$ worth is?) muscle repair( large hernia) breast lift and reduction all covered by OHIP, I paid out of pocket $3500 for the lipo. At that time the 360/belt didn't seem to be a big thing but now seems to be available as a upgrade.

Good Luck,

Nancy

Mahalo F.
on 8/10/17 8:22 pm, edited 8/10/17 1:22 pm

Hello Nancy!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Your reply was quite informative.

I knew the process would take long. Especially the OHIP approval. I was referred to one of (2) doctors that do WLS patients along with the OHIP covered paneculectomy.

My appointment is in September.

So we will wait and see.

Thanks again

Sandra

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Most Active