Panniculectomy/tummy tuck

Alishac313
on 9/19/17 6:59 pm

Hello!

Im new here. I've been reading through threads and I haven't seen anything relevant so I thought I'd start one. Over the last year I lost 100lbs but working out eating right and changing my lifestyle.

Because of this I have a large amount of skin hanging from my abdomen. I still have about 50-60 more lbs to loose until I'm at my goal weight but I wanted to start the process of looking for surgeons now.

Reading the forums, I've learned that people have gotten their panniculectomy portion covered and paid the top up to have a tummy tuck. How do I start the process to see if I can have a portion covered? Do they even still do this? I've reached out to my family Dr. And she said no doctors accept OHIP for this. Is this correct? Am I grasping at straws?

I live in Windsor, On. And I'm willing to possible travel as far as Toronto.

I've done a large amount of research and I feel like the plastic surgery world is so secretive. It's hard to find accurate information.

Thanks for reading as I know it's long :) Any information would be extremely helpful.

sk8muffsmom
on 9/19/17 8:37 pm - Canada

First off, Congratulations on your weight loss.

Your family Dr. is wrong (as was mine) OHIP will cover the panniculectomy portion if its deemed " Medically necessary" but not all plastic surgeons are willing to work with OHIP , so the first step would be to find a Dr. that does and then ask for a referral from your family Dr. Then this (PS)Dr. will consult with you & if he/she thinks that you may be a candidate they will apply to OHIP on your behalf.

This forum is great for finding out information...... so ask for a shout out for Plastic surgeons in your area.

Dr. M. Elahi in Toronto has done all my renovations ( after 100 + lbs loss) very talented & so kind.

Good Luck with your continuing journey.

Nancy

Alishac313
on 9/20/17 5:10 am

Thank you so much for the information Nancy! I feel good about loosing the weight, but then it was so discouraging when my DR. Said I was unable to get covered. I will definitely look into Dr. Elahi.

Thank you!!!

Chrissie14
on 4/4/18 9:23 am

Hi Nancy.

I'm having a pannus op with Dr Elahi through OHIP next week and I'm a bit nervous, I'm glad to hear all went well with you.

Regards

Christine.

Leslie W.
on 9/21/17 3:30 pm - Cobourg, Canada

You want to be at your goal weight for at least 6 months. I use Dr. Nandagopal and his team at USculpt in Vaughan. You definitely need to make sure whoever you choose works with ale patients. Feel free to pm me if you need more info

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active