Boobs are weird

Gwen M.
on 1/8/18 8:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had a mastopexy and upper body lift in August. From my Amazon order history, it looks like I was wearing a 36DD pre-op. (For sake of clarity, the bras that I'm talking about are all Wacoal brand and the brand has VERY consistent sizing.)

Pre-op, my surgeon told me that I would likely be a large B or small C cup. I reconciled to having "small" boobs.

In October, I figured things were settled enough that I could invest in nice new bras. I went to my local lingerie store, got fitted, and was happily surprised to learn that I was wearing a 32D. I bought two, they fit great. Woo! (And were consistent with measurements of 31 chest and 36 bust.)

Then I ordered two more bras - a sports bra and a regular bra. Same brand. Last week, I ordered two more regular bras to round out my regular bra collection. They arrived on Saturday. Last week I also put the sports bra on and was slightly confused since it was too small in the cups. But my first thought was "huh, must just be the sports bra?" That was stupid. I should have given it more thought.

(I've primarily been wearing cheapo post-op sports bras, since I've really only been wearing regular bras when a) I remember and b) I'm leaving the house. So.... that's how I was so unaware.)

A friend of mine mentioned, when I posted about how strange it was that the sports bra didn't fit, that maybe my regular bras didn't fit either? At first I thought, "lolz, of course they fit, I wore them like 2 weeks ago and they were great, and they fit perfect when I tried them on! And it's not like I've gained weight, in fact I've lost 5 pounds!"

But wouldn't you know it? I tried on ALL FIVE of the regular bras I now own, the ones that are 32D and they DON'T FIT. I remeasured my chest, and it's 30. The bands of the bras fit totally fine. But my boobs definitely runneth over.

DAMMIT.

So now I've got to accept that I have 6 amazing bras, that probably average to be $40 each, that DON'T FIT. Considering I was worried about having small boobs, I'm not upset at all to find that I'm still a DD, but I am annoyed at the money I spent. On the bright side, I'm grateful that I didn't complete my sports bra inventory as well in the wrong size, at that would have been even more $$ wasted.

Thankfully I was able to find 32DDs in two of my three preferred styles for under $30 each, so I've ordered those and will NOT remove the tags when I try them on :P (I pick bras by "cheapest color" since I don't really care what color they are.)

The moral of the story? Do NOT invest in nice bras two months after breast surgery. Then, if you haven't been wearing those nice bras, make sure to try them on and look at the fit critically if you get the urge to buy more nice bras four months after breast surgery. And, of course, never remove tags until after you've tried things on, whether you're sure those things fit or not :P

The other moral of the story? Boobs are weird. I guess mine suffered from excess skin and not lack of breast mass.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/8/18 8:52 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

That is weird! I didn't have my breasts done because I am too old to think about replacing an insert in the future, so it would be nice if they filled out a bit more without me gaining weight, but I'm not counting on it!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gwen M.
on 1/8/18 10:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Oh, I didn't have implants. Just a lift.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/8/18 10:44 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

That's great! I don't have enough fat in mine to make a lift worthwhile (LOL - who would have ever thought that would be the case).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

joanne0658
on 1/9/18 7:26 am

thank you, as always, for the insight! i'm scheduled for march 2 . . . . breast lift/monsplasty/tweaking of tiny left side dog ear.

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Luvmygs
on 1/9/18 7:58 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Gwen, sorry to hear about your bra story. Maybe you can post something on this blog and find out if anyone would be willing to buy them off you. I'm 2 months post op from my breast surgery and my surgeon still has me wearing sports bras. Will not allow me to wear regular bras until he gives me the ok. I also lacked breast mass, but the surgeon took from my sides and build some pretty good size breasts for me. I'm like you, no implants. Good luck with your bras.

Most Active