consults

catwoman7
on 3/9/18 1:41 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

so I signed up for a couple of consults in Chicago (one with the Univ of Chicago residency program, which I'm hoping might be a *****eaper than an established surgeon). One of the established surgeons charges a $200 consult fee. Yikes. Univ of Chicago just charges $75, which I thought was very reasonable. Although they are spending an hour or so of their time with you, and you may end up not even picking them as your surgeon, so...I guess it's fine, but...that just seemed pretty steep.

I've heard PS in Chicago can be pretty expensive, but there's really no one near my area who does a boatload of these surgeries, and I want at minimum someone who's done a boatload of them (or better yet, specializes in them). I originally wanted to go to one of the super star surgeons on the coasts or in Texas, but then, you have to factor in the cost of two plane tickets (as I'd want DH or my mother or sister to come along...), 2-3 weeks of hotel costs (as well as restaurant/take-out food for two), and ....well...all that might end up pretty much offsetting any price difference there might be. Plus, I would rather recuperate at home than in some hotel 1000 miles away, and also, if there are complications that my PCP refuses to deal with, Chicago isn't too far away.

can't believe I'm finally doing this...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

CC C.
on 3/9/18 3:45 pm

Yay! I'm excited for you. My consults were free when I did them 5 years ago (LA and surrounding area). Since I chickened out back then, regained, had WLS and am now pursuing plastics again, I had to pay for my second consult with the surgeon I decided to use since I'd already met with him years ago for my free visit. It's $150. I figured that's more than fair.

catwoman7
on 3/9/18 6:08 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

oh yes - I'm OK with them charging a consult fee because you are taking up their time and might not even go with them for surgery, but I did think $200 was a bit high. But we'll see what this other guy charges - maybe $150-200 isn't all that unusual nowadays. I bet a lot more people are going for these consults now because a lot more people are having WLS, and these surgeons were probably spending a lot of their time working for free for people who might not even become patients of theirs - so I do understand the idea behind them.

Part of me wonders why I'm even doing this because my excess skin is so easy to hide - but then, I can't seem to get my mind off of getting rid of the damn stuff. I guess I want to look as good as possible. After decades of being overweight or obese, I want to actually have a somewhat normal-looking body for once...

CC C.
on 3/9/18 6:36 pm

I feel the same way. I look good in clothes and the skin is hidden for the most part, but I would like to look mostly "normal" for once in my life. I think I was a single digit age the last time I had a moderately flat stomach. I haven't worn short sleeves, let alone a tank top in over 26 years. And my pants don't fit right because they have to be big enough to accommodate skin around my lower abdomen/mons area. I want to wear a swimsuit for the first time in decades without feeling embarrassed. To have the option to jog or run without everything jiggling and flapping in conflicting directions would be great. I don't care at all about the scars - it's just the price to pay. But to have all of my body stop moving at the same time would be awesome.

Erin T.
on 3/10/18 2:52 am
VSG on 01/17/17

You're doing it because you want to and you deserve to be comfortable in your own skin! I think it's hard sometimes for us to justify it because we can make ourselves look so good for everyone else, but what really matters is how we feel about ourselves. Personally, I couldn't stop seeing the skin (and the really saggy breasts!).

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

catwoman7
on 3/10/18 4:16 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that's me exactly - I can't stop seeing the skin - and the saggy breasts!!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/10/18 8:33 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'll tell you that PS gives you added incentive to maintain. I'm darned if I'm going to ruin my flat tummy (I never had one as an adult before)! BTW, some surgeons deduct the consulting fee off the surgical cost if you choose them (mine did).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

catwoman7
on 3/10/18 8:38 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think this guy does as well - deducts it if you go with him. This could get pricey if I do 3-5 consults, but then again, I want to talk to several people before I decide. I know they often have different ideas, and I may "click" with one more than the others, too....it's probably worth it to spend the few hundred bucks on consulting fees to find someone you really want to work with.

Most Active