Another consult in Chicago

catwoman7
on 4/20/18 4:57 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

so I had my second consult in Chicago today. Both surgeons do a truckload of these surgeries (but neither specializes in it).

Surgeon B is better known and has been at it a bit longer. He wants to do a traditional LBL. His quote was $20K. Pricey. I know people have said to count on $8000-$8500 per procedure, with an LBL counting as two procedures. So $16K - $17K would be "normal". BUT....i could recuperate at home, and there wouldn't be air travel involved, so that does offset at least some of the difference.

Surgeon A is also well-regarded, but again, not as well-known and hasn't had as many years in. He wants to do a FDL tummy tuck and do a bra-line backlift instead of doing the lift at hips (he said I have more of an issue with my back than I do my hips - and the backlift would give me a slight lift at the hips as well, which is all I'd need there - if that). His quote was $18K, which given that it was a FDL tummy tuck rather than a traditional one, that probably isn't a bad price, since FDLs are more expensive.

Surgeon B said if I'd probably be fine with a traditional TT, but if I decide I later want a FDL, he could do that. I was told that would be about $10K (because of all the anesthesia, etc, I'd have to go through again).

But Surgeon A said if I wasn't happy with the amount of lift I got from the bra-line backlift, he could later send me back to surgery again and lift from just above the hips as well. I didn't ask, but I'm assuming that would also be an extra $10K-ish. So we're kind of talking six of one/half dozen of the other.

I like the FDL idea. I'm not sure what I think of the bra-line backlift idea. In other words, I like the TT one surgeon would do, but I like the lifting from the hips that the other surgeon would do.

ARRRRGGGH! Why can't these people all be on the same page?? I hate these kinds of decisions!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Crazeru
on 4/20/18 5:18 pm

You can take pics from the front, side, back and side and email to [email protected] with quote in the subject. It's another consult with better pricing. Dr Sauceda specializes in WLS patients. There is travel, but his LBL is $7200 and with that your hotel is covered, and you get up to $600 back on your airfare.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

catwoman7
on 4/21/18 4:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I actually did do that a few months ago - his quote was surprisingly good - but then I decided I really didn't want to be away from home that long. But I'll look it over again - it's definitely worth the trip down there if I decide to do that. Thanks!

Librarian67
on 4/21/18 4:36 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks for the update on your consults. I agree, each doctor has their own ideas and it is hard to figure out what will work best for you.

My second consult said that he'd like to do a FDL while the first one says that he thinks he can do a good job with just the lower incision. Neither of them wanted to do the butt portion with the front portion because they said that it pulls on the body in opposite directions at once. But some very good surgeons do LBLs and people do well with them.

Do you have more consults to break the tie?

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

catwoman7
on 4/21/18 5:00 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I originally had one set up with the residency program at the Univ of Chicago, but they called me a couple of weeks before the appt and told me they had to reschedule, and that they'd call me back (they haven't yet). But then I decided I'd just choose between these two. But now that I have these two consults under my belt and can't really decide between the two "visions", I may set up one or two more consults - just to see what kinds of ideas they have and what their prices are. I think anyone in the Chicago area is probably going to be on the pricey side (except the residency programs...), but then, I can't really find anyone in southern Wisconsin who more-or-less specializes in this.

there's someone on the faculty at the Univ of Chicago who specializes in it and is also fairly well-known. He also has a private practice. I've heard he's really pricey, too, but I was thinking if I went through their residency program, he might be the supervising surgeon, since that's his specialty (I'd ask for sure...). So maybe I should try contacting them again, too....

I'm glad you decided on someone, Librarian67. It'll be a relief when I finally have these decisions behind me!

Librarian67
on 4/21/18 6:59 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Decisions about your behind...;)

Surgery is not generally cheap in the DC area either but like you I don't really want to travel and stay away from home for several weeks unless I have to.

I'm very happy with the surgeon that I have chosen and feel like he will skillfully do what I need.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/21/18 6:31 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I've had 3 6-8 hr plastics done and I support your research and checking around to get different approaches. Even though you want it done NOW - the research and planning make all the difference. From what you write, you do not have enough info to make a decision. My weight has fluctuated a bit since surgery, and I recommend getting to your stable weight before the plastics - it will be clearer what the correct path is.

I had 2 done with Dr Michaels in the DC area and very happy with everything about them. He decided to specialize in post wt loss surgery back in med school, so he is an expert in it and not just squeezing you in. He understands that post-wt loss skin may not have the normal elasticity, etc. He is very carefull about scar placement and appearance - Thank you Jesus, because I have several feet of scars and they pretty good. The best thing is that he does phone consults - you email him spec photo shots (without your head) and talk over the phone. After hanging up, I cried in relief that I would not feel deformed anymore. I am tearing up now just thinking of my 'before' and my current. Then, I met with him in person before the surgery and I felt even more confident.

I am not sure what the other docs have said, but Dr Michales wants you to get cleared for surgery by your primary care phy, or another doc to make sure you can withstand the long surgery. I timed my annual physical so I got that a month or so before surgery.

I had breast reconstruction done, and he required a recent (I forget if it was supposed to be within 30 or 60 days pre-surg) mammogram for that work - prob not necessary for the back lift, but something for others to think about.

Best wishes and be patient to sift through the options. I hope you'll be happy whichever way you go.

Sharon

chrissychicago
on 4/23/18 1:14 pm
VSG on 07/19/16

Catwoman -

I liked surgeon A as a person better, but thought surgeon B was a better surgeon. He was my second choice and I did like him as well.

Best of luck - it is soooo hard to chose.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/27/18 2:40 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

The additional consults seem like a good idea. I was lucky - Dr Michaels is 2 hours away from me and I stayed with family in the DC area for 2 days after surgery. One or two nights post surg is all you would need in a hotel, but location really is a consideration for routine followup and esp if you have any major complications.

Sharon

sonnieN
on 4/26/18 10:36 am - grand rapids, MI

Possibly look up in Grand Rapids. Just a short drive up there but could save a bunch of money. My surgeon shares an office w/ my surgeon so does get quite a few patients who have gone thru weight loss surgery. His prices were way less than even the other surgeons around town. Granted this was 9 years ago and insurance did cover my Panni portion but I had an LBL, Bracioplasty, Thigh lift and Breast lift w/ implants and it cost a total of $22K.

Most Active