Two Weeks Left!

wannabesupermomm
y

on 6/26/18 5:18 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Hey y'all. I'm two weeks away from my lower body lift, flankplasty, mastopexy, and brachioplasty. I have my preop clearance complete, and am waiting to hear from Dr. Capella's office about a final visit before surgery just to go over things once more (and I assume receive my prescriptions and things to fill and take home so I'm all ready when I get home.)

after creeping on this forum for what feels like forever, I made a shopping list on Amazon of some things people seem to suggest are most needed. A walker, toilet seat riser, and wedge pillow seem to be the most recommended. I might also get a sleep mask for the hospital because I remember being constantly woken by the hallway lights after my gastric bypass. But what do you guys recommend?

I am starting to get pretty nervous. I have only ever been put under once before (for the bypass) and I was terrified. I still am. Right now I'm all caught up in preparing myself mentally for the recovery at home, but day of all I'm going to do is cry about anesthesia. Hoping the good doctors are Hackensack will be willing to pump me the good anti anxiety drugs for that :P

Overall I am really excited, and just want to be as prepared as possible. My girlfriend is set to stay with me for the first 2 weeks post op and take care of my 3 year old son (even though he will be in daycare everyday from 8-6 so not too bad) and I have a reclining couch to sleep in.

I know I'm pressing my luck, but have any of you had to travel out of Manhattan for surgery? I am going to Jersey, and I am wondering what the best way is to get there and back. Especially back. Living in the city, I don't have a car, but I can't picture traveling on the trains and buses 2 days post op...

sorry for the overwhelmingly long post, but it's all starting to feel overwhelming. All of you who have gone through this are all so brave. These two weeks are going to fly by and I just can't wrap my mind around it.

RNY w/ Dr. George Fielding @ NYU 10/25/2016

LBL, BL, MASTOPEXY, FLANKPLASTY, BRACHIOPLASTY w/Dr. Joseph Capella @ Hackensack 07/11/2018

Stay tuned!

Gwen M.
on 6/26/18 5:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Considering you're having your arms done at the same time, I can't see that a walker would be at all useful, since that would require you to use your arms. You'll want to focus on using your legs since your abdomen and arms will be out of commission.

A shower seat was very useful to me and a shower wand, since I didn't already have one. A chair that you can get in and out of without your abdomen or arms will also be useful - or make sure you have someone around who can help you and practice ahead of time.

Depending on how the reclining couch works, you might not be able to recline or decline it without assistance.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 6/26/18 8:18 pm

A grabber tool. I couldn't bend to pick up or reach anything for weeks. Also have a plan B for what happens if you aren't well enough to be left on your own after two weeks.

Gwen M.
on 6/27/18 10:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And the grabber tool is useful beyond surgery recovery! I use mine to retrieve socks that fall behind the washer and dryer.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 6/27/18 4:43 pm

Ha! Me too! And getting my dog's tennis balls out from under the furniture...

sonnieN
on 6/28/18 7:10 am - grand rapids, MI

I'm short so the toilet seat riser wasn't any help and actually made things worse for me. I don't think you'll need a walker, you'll walk stooped over and go slowly but I never felt the need for one. One thing that I did find useful was a shower chair. Came in very handy since the first time I tried to take a shower I almost passed out. Hate to think what would have happened if I wasn't sitting down. I also bought a computer/laptop table that had lets so I could sit in my chair w/ my computer but not have it on my lap. Also had an TV tray next to my chair for my meds, drinks and other things that I would need right within my reach.

Once your girlfriend leaves and you're on your own just make sure things are at waist level so you don't have to reach up or down to get the things you need. My mom would fill my water jugs and leave them and my food on the shelf in the fridge right at waist height. Very helpful.

Laura in Texas
on 6/28/18 7:22 am

I stocked up on unscented maxipads from the dollar store to use instead of gauze (much cheaper). I used them between my incisions and my binder to provide a cushion and soak up any blood that might ooze out. I also cut a slit in them and put them around my drains to soak up drips.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active